You are here

Quadratic Residue Diffuser Design Frequency , help

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Quadratic Residue Diffuser Design Frequency , help

Postby tecnogadget » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 am

Hi! Im building a QR Difusser , im using the QRDude calculator , wich is a good software.
My concerns are about choosing the Design Frecuency. Im going to use it in my home cinema , and place it behind the seatings.

What should i care more about? Low vs High frequencies . For example:
A low frequency design like 400Hz with a HF cut off 1500Hz.
Or a higher frequency design like 1000Hz with a HF cut off 6500Hz
The problem is that to achieve a very high cut off , the Well Width should be narrow , and that makes it more difficult to build.

I currently have absorber acoustics panels with fiber glass and bass traps.
So.... Should i care about a low frequency Difusser design? Or a high frecuency one?
Or even a broadband design covering a wide range of Frequencies.
Thanks
tecnogadget
New here

Re: Quadratic Residue Diffuser Design Frequency , help

Postby GIK Acoustics » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 am

It really depends on your preferences, though to get diffusion at 400 Hz you would have to be sitting quite far from the diffusor to get the benefits. I would say most typical diffusers start at usually around 800 and go till about 4k, though nested or fractal designs can increase bandwidth on the high end.

By the way, I'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina right now visiting my Sister - your country is beautiful!
GIK Acoustics
Regular

Re: Quadratic Residue Diffuser Design Frequency , help

Postby tecnogadget » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 am

Ok thanks for your reply. Im from Cordoba but my father's mom and my aunts/cousins live in Bs As.
Im very pleased you like touring arround here.
So , it kinda makes sense to build it with an increased bandwith , trying to make it work with as many frequencies as possible , considering the space limitations.
I won't make it bigger than 1metre wide , 30cm width and maximum 17 dips.
tecnogadget
New here