You are here

Boomrang Contact Switches

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Boomrang Contact Switches

Postby wdsteele » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm

I've only just gone and spilt some coffee onto my much cherished Boomerang sampler.It wasn't a direct hit , thankfully , and my wife has recently taken to preparing said drink in a small continental style coffee cup , so the spillage seemed minimal ; more a largish splash.
I'd soaked up everything using kitchen towel probably within a minute or so and , hey , the Boomerang foot switches were working fine .
They've been working fine for a few days now but just this evening the two right hand switches are jammed ; no push at all , which is a complete show stopper for me.I presume the coffee/sugar solution has solidified over time
I poked about a bit with a screwdriver and have managed to get things functional again , but not quite back to normal .
Next step would be Deoxit D5 , no plan to remove the casing or anything , I'd rather have a proper qualified person do that I think.
However , before I spray the D5 down what tiny space there is , I wanted to ask if this is the correct way to go or could I do more harm than good ?
Kind regards
wdsteele
Poster

Re: Boomrang Contact Switches

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 pm

If you spill liquid into anything electronic, the first thing you MUST do is to stop using it and switch it off. If it is a sugary liquid or corrosive then it needs to be flushed out with clean water or possibly some other solvent. Once flushed out, leave it somewhere warm to dry for at least 24 hours and preferably longer before attempting to use it.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped my brand new mobile phone into the bath but it seems to be working happily after following the above procedure.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Re: Boomrang Contact Switches

Postby wdsteele » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 am

Many thanks James , I recall hearing that somewhere before ; now that you've prompted me to remember.

Fingers crossed I'll get a result.
wdsteele
Poster