You are here

Home studio desk (furniture) in UK?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Home studio desk (furniture) in UK?

Postby babylon 303 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent place in the UK that makes computer/studio desks? I've got pretty precise requirements - my 88 key MIDI controller has to be on a pull out tray just below the main desk and I have 2 different sized TFT displays, one above the other (it's the way I like to work) so needs to be able to accommodate this with some sort of shelving.

Am finding it hard to find any decent, affordable suppliers in the UK that can get hold of something. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks!
babylon 303

Re: Home studio desk (furniture) in UK?

Postby Baritonealone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am

studioracks.co.uk
Baritonealone
Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am

Ikea Jerker Desk...

if....

you have enough room for one, it is pretty big..

and if you can find one as they are not made any more....

...I do have one that I do not use but I do not want to be shifting it more than about 50 miles!
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby padfurnitre » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 am

Hello everyone
Thanks for share this useful information ......this information really helpful to me
padfurnitre

Postby Nicky T » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 am

Make sure you check your measurements - I've needed a similar workstation - if you've got the 88 note keyboard shelf under the desk it needs to be at a height where 1. your legs fit under it comfortably 2. the key bed is at a comfortable playing height from this sitting position 3. The desk top above that is at a comfortable height to work from.

You'd be surprised how precise those heights need to be to fit it all in and still be comfortable working long hours at the station. Good luck!
Nicky T
Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 am

You do not necessarily need a pull out shelf below the main desk surface....

It would be convenient but you can just put your controller keyboard on a keyboard stand and slide it under the main desk surface.

I had to get a couple of extra holes drilled in my keyboard stand so it would fit under a relatively low desk.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 am

How much is "affordable" for you?
I think Thomann will ship desks to the UK without it costing a fortune, and last time I looked at this I noticed this desk with a pull-out shelf for an 88-note keyboard, but you'd have to do a bit of modification to mount your monitors one above the other.

Otherwise, if budget is a bit tighter there is a lot to be said for a visit to Ikea and perhaps B&Q - lots of the Ikea desks are available in parts that you can purchase seperately and combine to get the desired structure and layout to suit how you work. May also be worth having a look at ikeahackers.net as there are a variety of ideas for studio desks there.
B&Q do sliding drawer rails that "lock" in the out position that seem to work well for keyboard shelves; mechanism is reasonably smooth and they've held up well for the two years I've been using them so far.
I'm currently using an old Ikea table that was a freebie being thrown out by a family member, modified with a keyboard shelf I've made from B&Q bits.
My master keyboard is only 61-note, but I'm sure the principle would work for an 88-note model (with perhaps a bit of extra bracing to take the extra weight).
Total cost for this set up was about £30 and an afternoon with a saw and drill. Perhaps not the most elegant in terms of aesthetics, but works for me as a home for my very budget setup!

N.B. Nicky's advice about checking heights is very relevant - it's surprising how hard it is to get the controller keyboard to a height that is comfortable to play and doesn't hit your knees, whilst keeping the top part for the computer keyboard and mouse low enough to also be comfortable to use for long periods. I'd therefore also plan for a bit of fine tuning once you're set up!
Logarhythm
Regular
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby MrMarkits » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Good old Ikea hacking! I cobbled together this desk from my old Malm oak effect bed (been sleeping on the floor for three months now!). You just have to be careful when sawing their hollow stuff in half, it's made of Weetabix

MrMarkits
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Now that's impressive MrMarkits!!

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Pink Fluid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Clever....what bits of the bed did you make the speakers from?
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby TheBev » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 am

Yup that is a beauty, & the "weetabix" comment.. now that's funny.
TheBev
Regular

"The tech gets better, the user error remains the same.." Roberts Plant

Postby hollowsun » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 pm

I bought THIS a while back. Ok, from Germany not the UK but they dealt with it all flawlessly. Bloody excellent desk - one of the best things I've spent my money on.

Here it is in situ today...

It is pretty big though so make sure (as mentioned above) you measure up well.

And €400-odd might seem a lot but you can spend £thousands on this stuff.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Kedge 123 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 am

MrMarkits wrote:Good old Ikea hacking! I cobbled together this desk from my old Malm oak effect bed (been sleeping on the floor for three months now!). You just have to be careful when sawing their hollow stuff in half, it's made of Weetabix

Other than Weetabix and a bed what else did you use?
Kedge 123
New here

Postby asja90 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Found some great stuff here:

And your blatant advertisement lasted for a few seconds before I deleted it
asja90

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm

asja90 wrote:Found some great stuff here:

And your blatant advertisement lasted for a few seconds before I deleted it

Because Martin Walker doesn't just use Weetabix to make studio furniture, he has 3 for breakfast. Don't mess with our Martin or you have me to answer to... 3 Jack Daniels' for breakfast

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby kaaporampton » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 am

Hey "babylon 303" !!
I bought a new desk in my home and believe me each one of my friend who have seen it have appreciated me, so I think you'll also like it!!

Spam link removed. Office furniture in the USA clearly is NOT Studio furniture in the UK !!!
kaaporampton

Postby LeeJamieHayes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Afternoon,

Apologies for hijacking the thread but I'm after some furniture too. I'd also reccomend checking out the Zaor stuff as the new Miza range is both cheap and stylish.

Has anyone had experiences with Zaor's Miza range?

Anyone aware of a UK dealer for Zaor stuff?
LeeJamieHayes
Poster

Postby scindapsus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 am

you can find what you need at melodyhome.
scindapsus

Postby JH Brandt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 am

Be aware that many of the 'desks' used by home studios are not really ideal due to their large reflective surfaces and they will direct reflection right into the ears of the operator causing comb filtering at the mix position.

Many people copy the argosy and other pro desks.. which are mainly designed for use in large studios with mid and far-field speakers/monitors. The angles of these desks are about 15 degrees.

This is an example of one of our designs (attached) And if you plan on building your own, map out the reflections from the speakers and make sure that there will be no interference. The desk shown has rack angles of 25 degrees. (and this is for a large studio)

Speakers should be on Stands.. NOT the console.

Cheers,
John
JH Brandt
Poster
John H. Brandt Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants www.jhbrandt.net

Postby GIK Acoustics » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:55 am

Wow John! I knew you designed desks, but I've never seen one of the designs before. Looks really cool!
GIK Acoustics
Regular

Postby JH Brandt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am

Thank you sir.

We are just putting together arrangements with a 'partner' in Canada to have many of our designs built and shipped in the Americas. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
John
JH Brandt
Poster
John H. Brandt Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants www.jhbrandt.net

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:33 pm

JH Brandt wrote:We are just putting together arrangements with a 'partner' in Canada to have many of our designs built and shipped in the Americas. Wish me luck!

Good luck John!

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode