You are here

Radio Sound Installation

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Radio Sound Installation

Postby KeepCalm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey all,

Basically, i'm trying to put together this sonic installations in which an fm/am radio plays recordings of number stations on 4 different radio frequencies. I'd like to hook the radio up my laptop with max msp so when the radio station is switched to another, the lights in the room along with the background music are changed as well. The sound/ lighting set up I know I can configure with max msp. My only question is how am I going to get this radio to sync with the lights and music and how can I transmit a recording of each number station on 4 individual frequencies? I've thought about making the radio a midi controller, so when the knob is turned to a different station it changes the music via the computer. I have no experience in creating midi controllers, though. Another thought was to transmit a few radio frequencies from my computer using a wireless network adapter and somehow have the radio pick up on them but, once again, i'm not sure exactly that would be achieved. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Radio Sound Installation

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Use a fake radio with 4 buttons on the top connected to the computer. The audio can come from the computer depending upon which button is pressed. You could probably use buttons from a cheap MIDI keyboard or a similar controller.

If you want sound to come from the radio then just put a speaker in it connected to the computer.

James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.