You are here

Basic Acoustic Tile Placement

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Basic Acoustic Tile Placement

Postby redcoat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been given these acoustic tiles.

I have the back wall behind my desk ONLY as the other half of the room is my lady's!

Where do I stick them?I mix,record vocals and acoustics here.

Many,many thanks in advance for your advice!

[image]Image[/image] [image]Image[/image]

Re: Basic Acoustic Tile Placement

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm

redcoat wrote:Where do I stick them?I mix,record vocals and acoustics here.

They aren't really enough to make a huge difference... and if you can only stick them on the back wall they really won't make a lot of difference.

Ideally, though, you should palce them on the mirror points on the side walls, either side of your listening position -- which will mean on the left wall roughly under the first picture, and on the cupboard doors onthe right.

The mirror points are where, if there was a mirror held flat on the wall at that place, you could see the reflection of your speakers when viewed from the listening position. Placing absorbers there will soak up some of the sound energy fromt he speakers that would otherwise be bounced directly to your ears at the listening position -- resulting in unwanted colouration and stereo image degradation.

Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Basic Acoustic Tile Placement

Postby GIK Acoustics » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm

I agree with Hugh. 8 Square feet is hardly a good amount of absorption (for example, ONE acoustic panel is 8 square feet) - but I would start them at the first reflection points. You can check out our video here on finding your first reflection points: ... on-points/
GIK Acoustics