You are here

Which cable?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Which cable?

Postby Kendo Phil » Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 pm

I am building a small patch cable system for my home studio, basically I am putting 12 way 1u panel on the front of my rack that runs to units from the mixer / inputs.

I can find the patch panel complete with stereo jack sockets and the stereo 1/4 jacks, but I am looking for a recommendation for the wire to connect it all up with. (I intent to solder it all up)

I want to make the wires the right length for each unit and make a zip tied loom that will run neatly from the panel to the units.

Could I call upon your knowledge to recommend a decent stereo wire and supplier, I normally go to Maplins for my electrical supplies but don't know if they would be the best bet for this.

Many thanks

Phil
Kendo Phil
Regular

Re: Which cable?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 am

I generally get my cables from Canford Audio, but any of the normal supplies carry reasonable stocks: Studio Spares, Bryant broadcast, VDC, etc

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kendo Phil » Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Hugh,

I will probably invest in a couple of metres of this;

Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Microphone Cable Blue

From Maplins in that case
Kendo Phil
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 pm

I've sometimes found that buying a multicore cable and separating out the individual cores has been cheaper than buying individual cables. In fact, many of my patch cables were made from a free sample of multicore cable that I was given at an exhibition.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 pm

James Perrett wrote:In fact, many of my patch cables were made from a free sample of multicore cable that I was given at an exhibition.

Ooh - you cheapskate

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Fri May 10, 2013 4:41 pm

For static wiring this is pretty good.
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pp3746/cable-microphone-3mm-black-100m/dp/CB13962

The foil give 100% screening and the drain wire makes stripping and soldering a doddle. Being only 3mm diameter is also handy.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Kendo Phil » Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Well, it all turned up and I broke out the soldering iron, I really must get some of those little clips for holding wires when soldering.

All stereo / trs connections

This was my first go - the foil shield came off easily but I stripped off to much and ended up trimming the excess wire off after.

I have just wired enough to connect up the compressor for the time being as I am trying to work out how best to wire up the FX unit - Mono & Stereo in / stereo out. Do I use a single socket to two mono plugs? The only thing I wasn't sure of is if I plug a mono source in it may short the right channel in on the stereo socket.

All wired in and tested, just need to fill the gap with a 1U guitar processor now!
Kendo Phil
Regular