You are here

Room Acoustics - again

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Room Acoustics - again

Postby Crunkfingaz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi All,

So after only being in my current premises for 4 months, I have decided to move somewhere larger that can allow me to have drums, amps, keyboards etc set up to record whenever my band needs to. As such, I will be moving in September and wanted some advice for a room with a bay window.

The room is roughly 13ft wide by 20ft long, and the bay window is roughly 2.5/3ft deep. If I put the mixing position in here, with the shutter boards closed, what sort of problems will I be facing? Focus of the curve/mirror points etc?

Any information is always appreciated

Thanks

Tom
Crunkfingaz
Regular

Re: Room Acoustics - again

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Is this a detached house? If it isn't then don't even think about having live drums in there without substantial building work.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Crunkfingaz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi James,

No, this is a business premises that is currently being used as an office. The room will be treated before we move the kit inside, as the last studio was. The walls are not stud work, they are substantial brickwork with plaster, which will have the required acoustic treatment.

My worry is having the mixing position in the bay window, as it is not something I have come across previously

Thanks

Tom
Crunkfingaz
Regular

Postby sheggs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 am

TommyLingham wrote:Hi James,

No, this is a business premises that is currently being used as an office. The room will be treated before we move the kit inside, as the last studio was. The walls are not stud work, they are substantial brickwork with plaster, which will have the required acoustic treatment.

My worry is having the mixing position in the bay window, as it is not something I have come across previously

Thanks

Tom

If you are going to sit in the bay window and not just close it off you are going to need lots of acoustic panels around all the surfaces. I would consider sitting outside of the bay windows; i.e. in front of it
sheggs
Regular

David Shevyn General Manager GIK Acoustics Europe
www.gikacoustics.co.uk

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 am

It looks like a converted Victorian/Edwardian house to me - in which case you'll only have floorboards and a layer of plasterboard between you and the floors above or below. I had a similar but slightly larger room for my last studio. It cost £26k around 13 years ago to soundproof it to an acceptable standard to allow me to use drums in that room. We ignored the bay window, built a wall across it and just used it as a storage area.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Crunkfingaz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks Shegs, appreciate the info. I'll bring the mix position out of the window.
Crunkfingaz
Regular