You are here

Help Meeeee!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Help Meeeee!

Postby Alba » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 am

It must have been a couple of years back now. My monitors went on the blink. I did some research and discovered the likely culprit was a bad cap. Hmmm, perhaps i could replace it.

I'd always been quite handy. I had made my own leads and cables for years. Surely it couldn't be too difficult to replace a cap on a circuit board. Well, i ordered some replacements and done the job and it worked!!! Then the other one went on the blink. Emboldened i replaced the same cap and it worked!!!!!!

Fast forward to now.

My wife is working in London at the moment. I ask her to pick me up some "stuff" sometimes. Well, this week its been every day. She comes home with a little plastic jiffy bag. I tip out the gear and make sure its all there.

I lay in bed and then get up in the middle of the night and do some more. Can't sleep. I heat up my "works" and get the bag of gear out. Heh, what have i become?

I've started digging through rubbish bins too. My wife is looking at me funny.

Now i've started using these websites for people like me who post their experiences and even buy and sell bags of the stuff!

Please help me.

I'm thinking about a Tubescreamer.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Re: Help Meeeee!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 am

It's too late now... you're beyond all hope!
:lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Oh dear Alba :thumbdown:

It was the smell of the flux that got me hooked :ugeek:

As Hugh says, you seem to be beyond all hope, except that your wife has been 'dealing' for you, so she could help by refusing to buy any more gear on your behalf.

However, if you really are determined to break the habit, I can put you in touch with Solderholics Anonymous - they helped me a great deal back in the day :?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Alba » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

She's working near Maplins. :geek:
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby One Horse Town » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Keep calm and solder on.
One Horse Town
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:46 pm

I wont be helping here... do you know sites/online shops like musikding? You'll find lots of pedals and even amp kits... you're lost :-D

If you're gonna get in the tubescreamer world it's worth to learn also about the right operationals to use, and how to find them in 70-80's electronic stuff... you're even more lost now haha

A range master is another easy way to start with pedals (and germanium transistors another huge world to dig in hahah)

The Petra Flowers
ore_terra
Regular
We are The Petra Flowers - Facebook - Youtube - Bandcamp