You are here

New song: Feedback on production quality

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

New song: Feedback on production quality

Postby stevie.khari23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to music production and would like to know what you think about my latest track. Please listen and offer feedback, thank you!

http://www.beatstars.com/beat/anxious-600435/
stevie.khari23

Re: New song: Feedback on production quality

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums :)

The best place to get feedback on the production is in the production forum. I'll move the topic there and leave a locked copy in the songwriting forum.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Re: New song: Feedback on production quality

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi Stevie, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Just had a listen to your track 'Anxious' and it seems well balanced, with deep bass, crisp highs and plenty of space between the instruments so you can clearly hear everything. From a mixing point of view I think you've done very well.

At first I found the main bell-like motif annoyingly repetitive, but it soon became strangely hypnotic, and I missed it when it dropped rather suddenly at 2:05 ;)

If I had to express an opinion I'd say the tracks exhibits a rather 'brittle' metallic sound, although this balances out rather once that deep bass comes in. I'd still be tempted to tone down the top end though, although with a title like 'Anxious' you perhaps intended this harshness.

Love the sound of that tearing sync-synth that arrives at 2:52, but once again it drops out suddenly at 3:21, and then the track itself finishes rather abruptly a few seconds later. You seem to make a habit of long periods of repetition followed by sudden changes.

I'd have bottled out, toned down the top end, and then added more little incidental percussive details to shine through and break up that at times robotic monotony. However, if a robotic feel was your intention then you succeeded admirably, for me anyway - I still enjoyed the track a great deal.

Overall I really enjoyed this track, as it contains lots of unusual sounds that really tickle the ears, and I ended up listening to it three or four times.

Well done that man!

Martin
Martin Walker