You are here

Music Courses on Coursera

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Music Courses on Coursera

Postby Frank Rideau » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm

I liked some of the music courses on Coursera a few years ago. They were free, some of them goes on for many weeks and could go deep enough, you felt you really learn something. I followed one "Write Like Mozart: An Introduction to Classical Music" from University of Singapore which was quite an amazing course.
Recently, I noticed Berklee is offering some music package course, which seems to be paying course. You can still *assist* to the course for free, so I watch one of them, I think it was "Developing your musicianship". The course goes on 5 weeks, with little material, really stay on surface of things like triads and dominant seventh stuffs. I mean, I would learn 10x by watching one hour of Rick Beato on Youtube. Is there people paying for this? I was disappointed.

What is your thought about these online music courses ?
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Re: Music Courses on Coursera

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

I stumbled on these a couple of years ago. If you pay for the course you get college credits for successful completion. You have to submit the homework and take the tests. If you go the free route, you just get the education. It seemed more of a showcase for different instructors more than anything. Like an ad for the school.

Just like these forums are naught but an ad for magazine subscriptions. Saw a mod state just that recently during one of the dust-ups.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 pm

IIRC, I set up notifications on the site and would wait until the last week of any lesson to go through it as the previous weeks were all available then.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby Frank Rideau » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

mashedmitten wrote:
Just like these forums are naught but an ad for magazine subscriptions. Saw a mod state just that recently during one of the dust-ups.

Yes, and this forum is called a forum, not a magazine. They call their stuffs "courses" and "specializations" and with title like "Developing your musicianship". Obviously, it is Berklee dropping a few credits for your money with the hope you may subscribe for their more in-depth paying courses. So like you said, more like an ad of a teaser, but not really the kind of open-education I though Coursera was building a few years ago when they started.

I now prefer to follow a couple of very well made Youtuber's video feed. What I am interested about is the knowledge and the content, and I don't mind about the big universities certificate or credits, if it is just what there is to pay for...
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

mashedmitten wrote:Just like these forums are naught but an ad for magazine subscriptions. Saw a mod state just that recently during one of the dust-ups.

;-) Don't think that's quite what I said... But we're getting used to misrepresentation in the media these days, aren't we? :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby mashedmitten » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
mashedmitten wrote:Just like these forums are naught but an ad for magazine subscriptions. Saw a mod state just that recently during one of the dust-ups.

;-) Don't think that's quite what I said... But we're getting used to misrepresentation in the media these days, aren't we? :-)

Not to beat an expired equine, but I think I was pretty close.

The forum is essentially a loss-leader with two aims: one is to encourage people to buy the magazine in one form or another, and the other is to provide traffic through the website.

No big deal, just kind of bummed me out to look at it that way. To me, this is one of the best sites to ask questions and get real answers. Yourself and countless others freely share your expertise with all, without rancor of any sort. It's a rarity these days. I've learned more in the last few months than I have in a long time. Again, no big deal, it just kind of took me aback.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

Postby forumuser901320 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 pm

If you are looking for anything related to music theory do check https://www.teoria.com/
they have revamped the site and offer several excellent tutorials and training material ( free )

just my two bits, grtz
forumuser901320