You are here

New Member/IEM question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

New Member/IEM question

Postby RobfromMass » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Rob, new member from Massachusetts. I had a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

I am a drummer and just picked up a cheapo set of wireless IEM for rehearsal. My goal is to be able to better hear my guitar player, bass player and singer without going deaf. We have a PA and mixer for the PA. I'm looking for someone to explain to me in layperson's terms how to best set this up to achieve my ability to hear everyone. I was told run my IEM to the aux out on the board, but I'm assuming I'd have to run mics directly to the guitar amps into the board before hand. I guess my concern is not being able to control output volume. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
RobfromMass
New here

Re: New Member/IEM question

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Rob and welcome! :thumbup:

What mixer do you have? And what do you have connected to it? Knowing that will make it easier to answer your questions.

You'd normally feed your IEM transmitter from a pre-fade aux send on your desk/mixer. You should see a rotary knob on each channel marked 'Mon' or Aux 1 or something similar. These controls operate independently of the channel fader. So the channel fader can be down, but if the same channel Aux rotary control is 'open' then you'll be feeding any input on that channel to the IEM transmitter.

It follows that anything you want to hear in the IEM must be routed through the mixer in order for you to get a good clean sound.

So you want to hear vocals but no keys (for instance)? Then you have the rotary control on the Vocal channel turned up to an appropriate level and the rotary control on the keys channel(s) fully closed. Thus you can set a separate mix for the IEMs.

THIS IS IMPORTANT! Does your IEM system have any form of input limiting - check the manual? If not, you need to get a separate limiter pronto to place between the mixer and the IEM transmitter. If you don't and someone sets an incorrect level on the mixer you could be permanently deafened.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 am

What Mike says about the limiting protection is absolutely crucial.

On a matter relating to hearing what you want in your IEMs, and having to have those sounds as sources in the mixer: a lot of IEM users feel isolated from the audience, and many like to have one or two audience mics routed at low level through to the IEMs, just so they can hear and respond to any audience reaction.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby RobfromMass » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:22 am

Hi guys! Thanks so much for the info. I will find out what board we have. I was never good at that stuff.

I agree on feeling isolated from the crowd, but after experiencing moderate hearing loss, I'm having a difficult time hearing my guitar player, so I figured the IEM would be helpful. Basically, I picked up the Galaxy Audio As-900, so I'm not sure if it has an onboard limiter. I could be wrong though?
RobfromMass
New here

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Looking at the manual for it, it doesn't. It's their entry level model, so is rather basic in features. 100mW is a very healthy output level for the receiver and can drive sensitive earbuds very loud indeed. For comparison, the iPhone 6 has an output of 24mW into a typical 32 ohm earbud load, and listening to that at full volume for too long can cause hearing damage.

Unfortunately there are no technical/sensitivity details for the EB3 earbuds on the Galaxy Audio site. So you need to be very careful with them, start with a low volume and increase it. Unfortunately the volume knob is also the on/off switch, so you can't permanently tape it in place to prevent accidental movement,
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 pm

At a slight tangent:

It might be worth investing in a set of decent earplugs which allow something approaching a full range sound through.

When sound-teching I use them between and after sets when there's often a DJ or house music at hysterical levels and find using them allows me to differentiate sounds much better when the general level is lower.

If I'm playing a gig which doesn't involve singing I sometimes pop the plugs in rather than faff about with my IEMs. If I'm singing it's a different ball game, I do use the IEMs but add EQ, gentle compression and hard limiting before the signal leaves the desk.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby RobfromMass » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Our mixer is a mackie 24x8. I'm using Shure SE215 ear buds. I tried hooking up the galaxy as-900 to the mackie mixer and couldn't get anywhere with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again
RobfromMass
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Details Rob! :) What outputs are you sending to the galaxy? Are you just getting no sound at all through the earphones or hiss and crackle? Are your normal monitors behaving themselves properly? Have you introduced any other bits of kit into the system? Have you read the trouble-shooting section of the manual? ;)
Sorry for the egg-sucking questions but you have to be methodical about these things. :)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mashedmitten » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Aux sends 3+4 and 5+6 are stereo pair cue sends. Googled the manual, seems pretty comprehensive.
mashedmitten
Regular
Nate

Postby RobfromMass » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:Details Rob! :) What outputs are you sending to the galaxy? Are you just getting no sound at all through the earphones or hiss and crackle? Are your normal monitors behaving themselves properly? Have you introduced any other bits of kit into the system? Have you read the trouble-shooting section of the manual? ;)
Sorry for the egg-sucking questions but you have to be methodical about these things. :)

Hi Blinddrew! Apologies in advance, I am not technologically gifted. We ran the galaxy through the headphone jack after it went through a gate/compressor to avoid feedback issues.

I couldn't find any places on the mixer itself that said Aux Send.

I wasn't getting any signal into the galaxy at all. The front panel lights weren't lighting up at all, so I'm assuming the headphone jack most likely wasn't where to insert the galaxy.

There are two XLR jacks on the back of the galaxy, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

Thank you all for helping me make sense of this!
RobfromMass
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 am

Ok Rob, have you got yourself a limiter yet?
As has been mentioned above, you can do yourself permanent damage without one, especially if you, or anyone else in room, doesn't know their way around the desk - which is what it sounds like.
So limiter first please.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...