You are here

My first experience running live sound solo. It's a horror story

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

My first experience running live sound solo. It's a horror story

Postby techjunkie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:30 pm

This will be my first post on the SOS forums. I figured this would be a good story to tell. I’m sure someone can relate to this. I could also use some advice from those that have more experience than me.

So I got a gig as a sound guy for a local act. They have only played out one time before as a 5 piece and ran there own sound. Small bars 150 people max. They needed a guy to help out so I figured this would be a great learning experience as I wanted to advance my skills. I am not super experienced but I am not a total newb either. You have start somewhere and what better way to do it than with a inexperienced band. The best part is they have all there own PA gear. They just wanted someone to set it up and run it. So I get to meet the guys at a rehearsal at least to go over some of the gear. Try and get as familiar with it as possible. The rehearsal goes well so we pack up for the gig the next day. Knowing full well that they don’t have a snake but just purchased one used from this guy and never tested it. I have no idea what connectors are on this thing etc. Great! I go home that night and pack up all the odd adapters I can scrounge up knowing something is going to not be right.

So I suggested we show up to the gig as early as possible to get ready. For me and for them, but mostly for me. They all agree and supposedly the club owner says we can start setting up at 6 for a show starting at 9. “3 hours” I say to myself, plenty of time to set up and get this right. The joy ends right there. I am sure people reading this know this story before they read it but this was my first time setting up an entire rig that I never set up before. So this is gonna be great!

We get there at 6pm. The owner says you can’t load our gear in! What! Well hold on a second. The trailer is double parked while we wait patiently. “OK” he says, “You can load all you gear in the basement”. At least we can get the gear in there. We load all our gear in the basement and head to the stage to scope it out. The manager says they have placed a party on the stage and we can’t set up till they leave. So we just sit down to eat dinner thinking that we could at least get on the stage at 8 for 9. It is now 6:30pm.

9:30 We are finally allowed to take our gear from the basement to place near the stage. Great! So now we have our stuff at least close to the stage.

10:30 OK, the management starts to shuffle the guests off the stage and move all the tables off the stage. Remember we are supposed to START at 9pm and have been there since 6! Meanwhile we have to lug our stuff through the crowd and put all of it on the stage. So we end up moving things two or three times to maneuver the gear around. I am grabbing cables and connecting things as fast as I can. I am thinking to myself “This is going to be awesome!”

11:30 Everything is finally plugged in. The snake that did show up by the way has all the wrong connectors on the returns and we don’t have enough adapters. The two I brought is just not enough. It’s all I had. So we condense the monitor feeds and run some super long single cables to the stage. It looks like total spaghetti. I should have taken a picture. Then, since the board is plugged in basically the same as practice, which doesn’t use the monitor feeds, they decide to just start. Sound check consists of everyone just making noise and they can hear it. While our 2 seconds of sound check goes on the manager says since WE started late there are no set breaks. People will leave. Perfect! The talkback mic channel doesn’t work at all. So I am just pointing and shouting.

11:32 The band just starts. I am fighting with feedback and trying to make things sound the best I can. Half way through the first song I get both managers and a crowd member telling me they can’t hear something in my left ear and my right ear is 4’ from the main PA speaker. Shocking really, I mean we had ample time to set up! This is going as smoothly as a fart in church. The vocal processor for the lead singer is on full wet and I can’t figure out why. I received and plugged in a dry and wet feed. I am looking at cable markings on my end and still I don’t understand why. I knew I plugged this into that channel? I figure out that the cables are labeled wrong on both ends. So one end there is double tape and the other end is nothing. Meanwhile the end I have has double tape on it. So the first few songs sound like crap till I realized what was going on. Rookie mistake I trusted a labeled cable and didn’t check both ends. I would assume if you label something on one end you would do it on another. Silly me.

11:45 Things start to get leveled out and to me 4’ from the PA I think it is OK. The board sums Mon 1 and 2 together so you can’t listen to the individual monitor feeds in a pair of headphones. So I have no idea what the bands monitors sound like. I am trying to listen to individual channels but being this close to the PA nothing is working for me. Half of the PFL switches don’t work! I can’t hear a damn thing except loudness. I also set up the groups in a way that I could not monitor the main outputs properly in my headphones. So I screwed the pooch on that one. The band wasn’t stopping between songs at all so I didn’t want to make any drastic changes on the fly and really risk screwing something things up even worse.

12am Things are running and at least it doesn’t sound atrocious in the crowd. I walked out a few times to the back of the room and to me at the time it sounded OK. I made the terrible mistake of recording my feeds from the speaker processors. I told the band I would so they could hear each other afterwards. Looking back I should have told them I didn’t catch a recording and forgot. I know that the board feed isn’t exactly what the crowd hears. I don’t think they seemed to get that.

2am We shut down and pack up. I am exhausted and my ears are killing me even when trying to use ear plugs. I don’t get home till 4am. One more thing, I didn’t get paid either! Then everyone lets me know they couldn’t hear themselves. WTF! So I am just chalking it up as a learning experience.

So this is my experience the first time I ran sound solo. I learned a whole lot of what not to do and what to remember for the next time. You don’t start out on top you have to start at the bottom. Any comments, laughter, criticism is welcome. I figure someone will get a laugh out of this. I did the next day. I realize this is low end bar sound not anything special. But, I always want to make things sound there best in whatever I do. So I am sure someone can relate to this. I will never forget this experience as long as I live.

If you made it to the end of this story thank you.
techjunkie
Poster

Re: My first experience running live sound solo. It's a horror story

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:39 pm

That's Rock & Roll!

By the way Junkie - did that cure your addiction!

By the sounds of that, it can only get better from here on in
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi, Poor you! For a start, having to wait all that time and then getting complaints of tardiness would have got me going home with my gear with Vs flashing out of my car window.
I would have done a side of stage mix also, as in keep the band happy with monitors, reduce the cabling (not use snake) and work from vocals up.
If you can get the monitors passable in the first 2 numbers , then do a walk around, that is preferable.
Don't forget quiet and intelligible is better than loud with feedback, as most people don't notice a bad sound until feedback appears, then you get stared at by numpties.
Better luck next time.. Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby techjunkie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm

It cured my addiction until the following day. Then I just wanted to get better at it. So I actually feel more inclined to do it again so I can get it right. So I guess I will never be cured.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby techjunkie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. The complaints from the management were a little ridiculous. Next time I run into this situation I am gonna take your advice. Run sound from the side of the stage. It would have made the band happier if there monitor mix was correct first. Lesson learned!

The best part is it can only get better. It sure can't get any worse. I hope?
techjunkie
Poster

Postby Scramble » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Sounds like a dream gig to me!

Seriously, that sort of crap happens all too often at the lower end of the scale. It's one reason why you want to get moving up to better gigs.

But at least it's the sort of thing that gives you "experience". A few such gigs can be a good thing, as long as they don't just make you give up. They teach you to think on your feet, they teach you to be prepared, they teach you what can go wrong, they teach you to be wary of promising too much (eg. offering a recording from the desk), etc. But you don't want too many of them!
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby techjunkie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:31 pm

It was a dream alright! If I have more dreams like this please smack me in the face!

I realize that local low end stuff is going to suck. I didn't realize or fathom that is would ever suck that bad. But I didn't walk out. I did the best I can with what I had. I would rather completely botch a small gig and work my way up that mess up a gig that really matters.

The experience I learned from this is going to stick with me for a long,long,long time! Being a tech guy looking back I was unprepared. I know better now. I have another gig with these guys this weekend and will be much more prepared for this one. Same kind of bar but again, "We can set up at 6". So we will see how it goes. Not getting paid for the last one stinks but I need the experience and you just have to start somewhere.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 pm

You have my sympathies!

Do let us know how you get on next week.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Save paradise, Pull up a parking lot!

Postby planetnine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 am

why didn't you get paid?

>
planetnine
Regular

Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.

Postby Big Kev » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 am

Everyone around you will always try to convince you that everything will run smoothly. Don't listen to them. There are limitations to what you can do and even experienced people would either struggle at what you where dealt with or walk away when things started going pear shaped.

You have to be prepared to stand your ground and tell people the way it is. If it takes an hour to set up and you've been offered half an hour then obviously something is going to go wrong. You find out who has the weight and tell them. Either get the stage emptied or your pulling the gig. You'd be amazed how things like that get things moving. You don't have to abusive but just firm (otherwise you'll probably get the opposite reaction!). You'd do the same in any other line of business.

The biggest wake up call I got was when playing in a band many years ago at a festival. We were playing one of the smaller stages and needed to set-up and do a quick sound check. All the engineers etc were nowhere to be seen. By the time I managed to find a member of staff I was quite wound up to say the least, as we thought we were going to miss our slot. So I basically lost my rag and said we were going to pack up and head off home. He got on the radio and within minutes there were people everywhere sorting stuff out.

Obviously it is always best to work through a problem and try your best to get it sorted but there are times when you need to point out that either you get help or there are going to be certain compromises! (i.e. shite sound, feedback, bad monitor mixes etc).
Big Kev
Regular

I met a strange lady, she made me nervous; she took me in and gave me breakfast

Postby grab » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 am

No money?! As the soundman for something like this, you should *always* be getting an equal band-member's share. That's the standard rate for small gigs. Larger gigs you can do a fixed fee instead, but generally a band-member's share for a small gig comes out at less than minimum wage anyway.

And if the band were doing this for nothing, I suspect most people would have walked if the event organiser/manager had treated them like that. It's not about being prima donnas, it's about refusing to be doormats. Or at the very least, say "we're booked to play until 12, and it's up to you when we start". Hell, even for money it's not worth being treated like that, especially at pub-gig rates.

As regards the recording, the standard line has to be "if I have time". The gig comes first, and if everything goes to worms then the recording is the *very* last thing you look at.

Anyway, sounds like you did a decent job in a really crappy situation. And "that which does not kill us..."
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:28 am

Hi, TJ and welcome.

Mucho sympathy for your experience. There are some positives you can take from it though. The next time someone dangles a nice shiny piece of kit in front of you you'll know not to rely on it (snake) without having used it in a combat situation. Once everybody's smiling you can experiment with the new toys to your heart's content. In the case of the snake I suppose half an hour with a cheap cable tester (Behringer, etc.) in would have been the one, but we live and learn.

Also, the bonus of working for peanuts/free is that you always have the nuclear option of "you've had your money's worth, now f*@# off".

Unprofessional I know but sometimes knowing you could if you wanted keeps you positive.

Sounds like you could have done with a simpler system, by the way. Maybe less is more.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am

grab wrote:No money?! As the soundman for something like this, you should *always* be getting an equal band-member's share. That's the standard rate for small gigs. Larger gigs you can do a fixed fee instead, but generally a band-member's share for a small gig comes out at less than minimum wage anyway.

And if the band were doing this for nothing, I suspect most people would have walked if the event organiser/manager had treated them like that. It's not about being prima donnas, it's about refusing to be doormats.

While I wouldn't disagree with any of this I would qualify it by pointing out that every experience is a learning one and it's better to be out doing something than sat at home talking about it. What you learn in these situations is never forgotten. Sometimes it's just unrealistic to be demanding minimum pay rates (these words are very difficult to write) so profit from the event in some other way... ...and have some fun. Sounds like you've got that one covered anyway.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Nathan

I suspect the band leader didn't like how I handled the stage sound or whatever and decided to just bail at the end of the night. If it happens this week I can surely tell them to F#$^ off.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Big Kev

Good advice. If I see a situation forming like this again, I will just need to be the proactive one with a set and get things movin.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 pm

shufflebeat

Good advice as well. The Behringer cable tester is top on my to get list. Defiantly going to simplify this weekend.

Thank you
techjunkie
Poster

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Grad

This weekend my focus is just to get it right. If I only get 2-5min to sound check I will be prepared much better this time. The recording is the last possible thing I am going to do if at all.

At least now I can say I am experienced.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby tacitus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Experienced, yes. Very experienced, no. Just remember that what goes wrong on one gig isn't what will go wrong on the next one - the moment you've kicked the dog away that's biting your balls, another one bites your bum! After the first few dozen gigs you'll see.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 pm

The very mention of a vocal processor makes me think that you are possibly more used to studio sound. In a situation like this you want things as simple as possible. If you don't have a digital desk, lose all the processing and effects until you get more experienced. Effects and processing always seem to be the downfall of inexperienced engineers. You will often get better results without them.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 pm

James Perrett

You are correct sir. I am way more used to studio sound. This is one reason why I want to get out there and more familiar with live sound and live situations. I agree a super simple rig would be much better but these guys insisted on the effects. There were 5 effects processors in total. To me it's ridiculous for a small bar/club. But it's there rig. They just want someone to run it. This doesn't mean the next time I will actually use the effects. If it was my rig then I would have a little more say in what goes and what stays. Live and learn. I lived and I certainly learned.

Thanks for the advice.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 pm

techjunkie wrote:It cured my addiction until the following day. Then I just wanted to get better at it. So I actually feel more inclined to do it again so I can get it right. So I guess I will never be cured.

Good on you - am sure as you build up more experience you'll sort all the technical issues and learn to deal with the unhelpful management etc

If you know you're right, then you are - all the best and good luck.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve Hill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Did the band get paid?

If so, in the near-impossible circumstances you describe, I see no reason why the band should be enriched by not paying you.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster

Postby planetnine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Find out where he lives, invoice him.

>
planetnine
Regular

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

I don't know for sure. I didn't see money exchange hands from the club manager to the band leader. But I would assume, that since the band leader and the manager were chatting for some time after the gig that this is when the money exchanged hands. He came back out of the club and quickly bolted. It was clear before the gig that I would get paid X amount. Granted it was pocket change but if you were told you would get paid X then you would expect to at the end of the night. If it was understood that I would work for free, which I would now since I am not very experienced, then it would be fine.

Another lesson learned.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby planetnine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Stand your ground; don't emphasise your lack of live experience; explain that you did the best possible with the equipment available and the situation and timeslot given. In short you have been more professional than the bandleader in leaving without even explaining why he hasn't paid you.

I'm quite prepared to join you on you next gig with them so I can point out how shite he is from a professional and very experienced context

>
planetnine
Regular

Postby marksound » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 pm

I have done loads of gigs similar to what you describe but with slightly better results LOL.
I once turned up to a function at 3pm by request and could not set up til 12pm or make any noise and the band went on at 12:45 and i got paid less money than agreed-nowadays i would not be quite as accomodating
Wedding band gigs where there is a noise limiter are probably the worst and the audience sing-a-long tripping the limiter in every song so you have to completely turn off the FOH and just have monitors ,put a vinyl record matt on the snare , beg the band to turn down and stand on a chair all night pushing noise limiter buttons and rushing to the kitchen and untripping fuses.Also you get drunken audience members doing bizarre things like balancing a glass of wine on the aperture of the HF horn on a wedge or mistaking the wedding video camera man's ambient ceiling mics for the noise limiter mic and detaching them but in doing so pulling all the overhead xlr leads down which get entangled in the decorations etc
Once you have done a few quick set up gigs like this ,you will learn that the trick is to pare down the amount of kit you use -maybe daisy chaining the monitors,use all self powered speakers, forget using a sub just run a bit of kick through the wedges[as long as they are fairly decent] , do a vocals/kick/bass/keyboard/acc gt mono mix only and using a mix wiz or similar with built in reverb and just use one stereo 31 band graphic and no comps /gates
Its best to forget multicores ,recording,complicated IEM's at this level of gigging as you tend to take your eye off the main job of giving the audience a clear vocal mix with no feedback. Prep the system before the performance eliminating any feedback issues by talking into one mic and duplicating that eq/level on every vocal channel.
You will find that these type of gigs throw up unexpected problems like bad electrical power or shared low power generators with the ovens and lights .Last minute furniture/dancefloor/stage removal is also a bugbear .
Experience and reliable quality equipment is everything in this business
Always carry a cable tester/torch /gaffa tape /screw drivers/plyers/spare DI boxes /mini jack to mono jack leads / spare 4 way plugboards / spare xlr leads and a hi-hat clutch
marksound

Postby techjunkie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Nathan. I appreciate the support.

Marksound

Thank you for the advice and colorful stories. I will be sure too add your suggested tools to my must have tool box. I made a pile of adapters this week already for these guys. I hate being unprepared. Oh and I labeled my cables properly on both ends! But you can't have everything off the bat. Your advice on the vocal channels is pure gold. Thank you! I will be using this tip for sure.

Thank you everyone for your advice it is greatly appreciated.
techjunkie
Poster

Postby grab » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:46 pm

While I wouldn't disagree with any of this I would qualify it by pointing out that every experience is a learning one and it's better to be out doing something than sat at home talking about it.

Sure - I've spent the last 2-3 years doing free work regularly for a friend who runs a couple of live venues. Her finances are enough on the edge that I wasn't going to crap on her, especially when I was enjoying it. And the bands almost all weren't paid anyway.

But if you're hired by the band, and it's an event, and the band's getting paid for it, then you really should be getting cash in your hand at the end of the night. Unless you did sign up for a free trial, of course, but even then they shouldn't expect more than one free gig out of you if you're doing a reasonably OK job.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:52 pm

grab wrote:
While I wouldn't disagree with any of this I would qualify it by pointing out that every experience is a learning one and it's better to be out doing something than sat at home talking about it.

Sure - I've spent the last 2-3 years doing free work regularly for a friend who runs a couple of live venues. Her finances are enough on the edge that I wasn't going to crap on her, especially when I was enjoying it. And the bands almost all weren't paid anyway.

But if you're hired by the band, and it's an event, and the band's getting paid for it, then you really should be getting cash in your hand at the end of the night. Unless you did sign up for a free trial, of course, but even then they shouldn't expect more than one free gig out of you if you're doing a reasonably OK job.

Quite right, too. A deal's a deal. Strictly speaking even if the band didn't get paid that's not my problem. In the circumstances, though I'd not spend too much time or headspace chasing peanuts.

I would, however:

Speak to the band leader (calmly) as though the deal was still my understanding "with everything going on we forgot to sort out my money".

If the guy is not forthcoming hint that this is a bad way to start what might be an ongoing arrangement with his band being so good and you being such a fan, etc.

Be very clear what were the shortcomings of the gear and how difficult the management had made things for everyone, band and you (Good chance to deflect negative attention).

Outline how good the gig could have been. Include advice mentioned here, simpler system, etc.

All this is much easier to argue however when you have robust confidence in your own skills and experience to back it up.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby techjunkie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:14 am

Shufflebeat

You make some good points. I am going to hold my tongue till the end of the gig this weekend. Then see what happens. If everything falls apart again then I should be able to deal with it a little better. Half the crap that was connected last week is just gonna look pretty this weekend. But if everything goes off well without any major problems and I don't get paid. Then I shall approach him. It will give me a little more to work with having a gig that went over smoothly. He will be in a better mood too.
techjunkie
Poster

Next