You are here

yamaha p7000s question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

yamaha p7000s question

Postby calster » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I have soundcraft fx16 mixer, two yamaha p7000s amps and some wharfdale speakers (2 bass bins and 2 tops). I would like to use one amp for my 2 top speakers and the other for bass bins; is this possible? If so could anybody tell me what cables i will need and how to set them up correctly? cheers
calster

Re: yamaha p7000s question

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Welcome!

Model no. of Subs?

Do the subs have a 'filtered' output - ie mix processed through a high-pass filter? (This is different to a 'thru' output which is just a paralleled feed of the input.)

Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm

You will probably need an active crossover to go between the mixer and the two power amps in order to split the bass signals to one amp and the higher frequencies to the other amp. Budget ones can be found for just over 50 quid although it might be worth going a little higher if you can afford it.

If you really want to push the boat out you could go for an all in one speaker management system like the Dbx Driverack or the Behringer equivalent.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Bossman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 pm

I think the Yamaha P series amps have processing built in (the ones I've used do).. so you don't need a x-over. You just switch the processing on at the back of the amp, and set the filter frequency using a pot above the input XLR.

Plug your XLR input into ch.A of the first amp, then use a TRS jack cable to link from the TRS input of the first amp to the TRS input of the second amp, this will link the two amps together to share the same input signal.. set the top amp to Low Cut (High pass), set the bottom amp to Sub Woofer (Low pass), and set the frequency pots to the same frequency (probably somewhere around 100Hz, depending on how low your mid/tops go).. do the same for ch.B

When linking the amps, make sure you don't use the jack speaker outputs (they are next to the Speakon outputs), only link the amps using the TRS jack inputs, which are next to the XLR inputs.
Bossman
Frequent Poster