You are here

setting up LD MEI 1000 IEM system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

setting up LD MEI 1000 IEM system

Postby Bluestaker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi can anyone help me? I've just bought an LD MEI 1000 IEM system. Never used one before and this may sound a little crazy, I can see where the XLR male connectors fits the transmitter, but where do the female ends connect to? I have a passive mixer that connects to an amp but I have no spare male sockets on the mixer. I must declare I'm not mixer savy!
Bluestaker
New here

Re: setting up LD MEI 1000 IEM system

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Welcome! :)

Are you currently using 'wedge' floor monitors? If so then you connect the transmitter to the same outputs you've used for those.

The principle is that you connect the transmitter to a pre-fade auxilary output of the mixer. If this is a jack socket - quite likely - then you'll either need to get a jack to XLR lead (much to be preferred) or a jack/XLR adaptor to go either at the mixer or transmitter end of either an XLR or jack cable.

It'll help if you can tell us the make and model of mixer.

Cheers! Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Peeb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 pm

I think the inputs into the MEI 1000 are combo sockets so you could get away with a jack-jack (TRS-TRS) from your aux out on the desk
Peeb
Poster

Postby Bluestaker » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your reply

We are using 'wedge' floor monitors for the rest of the band which comes from ‘Aux Sends 1.’ it’s only me who wants and intends to use IEM. I’ve since found out from ‘Peeb’ who replied just after you, that the transmitter has combo sockets and will take a .25” jack, at this moment in time I do have plenty of ‘jack’ leads.

Now, before we get into ‘pre-fade auxiliary of the mixer’ I feel it’s only right to tell you that I’ve returned to music after nearly a 40 year break – in my day a PA system consisted of 1 x amp with about 4 x channels and 2 x column speakers – full stop! So, you may well have to draw me an idiot sheet of instructions of where to plug into. There are 2 x leads from the transmitter do I have to use both?

The mixer is a Behringer XENYX X2442USB

Once again many thanks

Mike
Bluestaker
New here

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Okay, if the band are coming from "Aux Sends 1", then you want to connect the IEM to "Aux Sends 2". That way you can use the Aux 2 knobs to do your own mix, as you will want it to be different to the rest of the band I expect.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp

Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Exavior Music wrote:Okay, if the band are coming from "Aux Sends 1", then you want to connect the IEM to "Aux Sends 2". That way you can use the Aux 2 knobs to do your own mix, as you will want it to be different to the rest of the band I expect.

Wot 'e said! :D

Now this "pre-fade" business... for each input channel on your mixer, it's best to have the 'pre' button engaged for auxes 1 & 2. This means that the output is 'pre' the fader for that channel. So, if in the middle of a piece the soundtech decides to pull back the fader on, say, a guitar input, then that won't affect the sound in the monitors or the in-ears. So you use the individual channel prefade rotary control to determine how much of that signal is sent to the auxiliary output. Moving the fader won;t affect the monitor sound from those auxiliaries at all.

Just had a look at the manual for your IEM system... looks like you can set it up as a mono system so you may be OK with feeding only one of the inputs on the transmitter.

... and now something you haven't asked about... a licence to use it. The goood news is that you won't need a licence as long as you run it on a frequency between 863.001 MHz and 864.999 MHz. Anything else either needs a licence or is (or soon will be) illegal to use in the UK. If you gig at places where there are other radio mics in use, you may need to check that there's no frequency-clash with any of their systems and maybe adjust accordingly. (There are issues about how many separtae devices you can use at the same time in that band (Channel 70) but we'll leave that for now.)

HTH. Mike :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:01 am

Bluestaker wrote:Hi can anyone help me? I've just bought an LD MEI 1000 IEM system.

Listen to what Mike's posted, make sure it's setup for pre-fade as the instant you change the levels for FOH, you'll get sod all in your in-ear mix.

I have an LD 1000 in one of my rigs, they're a brilliant little unit but if you haven't already I'd think about upgrading the buds.

You have the "more me" option on the LD, you could run the overall band (i.e. everything but your vocals) to aux 2, and then your own vocals to aux 3, and then feed the aux 2 and aux 3 outputs to the L & R of your LD. Now you can adjust the overall mix of band/your vocals from your beltpack, which is ideal when you're mid-song and can't quite hear yourself enough.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster