You are here

Low budget/high power main speakers and amp

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Low budget/high power main speakers and amp

Postby christianmurphy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 am

So I'm having a crack at getting my own PA together. I've got a couple of small monitors and amp, and two low end subs and an amp, yamaha mx400 16 channel desk and already had a bunch of mics and such. So my last main purchase is my main monitors and amp.

I need something that will actually handle a fair bit of bass okay, as these subs are at the lower end of the power spectrum. I was planning on using the group outputs of my desk, sending just kick and floor toms to a behringer FBQ1502 just to use the crossover feature and have the subs just handle that. This way I could still have full band audio going to my main monitors, or is this a bad idea?

I was looking at the (new version) samson RS215 HD as they are dual woofer, thought they would be able to handle some more bass. DV is selling them at 180 per speaker which seems like a pretty good price to me. But although they're 600 watt RMS, the single woofer version, at 300w RMS has a max SPL of only 1dB lower? Am I missing something or have they just made a speaker that's very inefficient in order to make it look like a very loud speaker when in fact the 600w is just a lot of wasted energy?

Amp wise I've been thinking something along the lines of an Alto APX1500

Am I better off looking on the second hand market?

As an idea of what I'll be using the set up for, mainly rock bands in various venues up to around 150/200 people max. Do I need to rethink my budget?

Christian.
christianmurphy
Regular

Re: Low budget/high power main speakers and amp

Postby robare99 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Look for used gear. 150 - 200 people is a pretty decent crowd...
robare99
Regular

Postby TSH-Tim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Where are you based ?
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby christianmurphy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 pm

North london. May I ask why :D

Oh, and any recommendations on what I should look out for? I know someone with a pair of HK 2 ways for sale, but can't find any information about them online in terms of spl and such. I thought i'd at least be able to find a manual but no such luck! If I could PM someone with the information to get some feedback that'd be great. Just don't wanna post the link on here in case someone nabs them before I get a chance aha!

Ta, Christian.
christianmurphy
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am

christianmurphy wrote:North london. May I ask why :D

Oh, and any recommendations on what I should look out for? I know someone with a pair of HK 2 ways for sale, but can't find any information about them online in terms of spl and such. I thought i'd at least be able to find a manual but no such luck! If I could PM someone with the information to get some feedback that'd be great. Just don't wanna post the link on here in case someone nabs them before I get a chance aha!

Ta, Christian.
The fact that you can't find any info suggests that this is a model that's no longer manufactured. Unlike other manufacturers, HK don't seem to keep info on discontinued models on-line for very long at all.

I guess you've already done a full Google on the model number....

You might try contacting JHS who are the distributor in the UK.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:16 pm

christianmurphy wrote:North london. May I ask why :D

Ta, Christian.

Just seeing where you are based so i could help find some kit / ideas for you :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby christianmurphy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 am

Oh cool. Well if anything does come up please do let me know. The fella with the HKs doesn't want to budge a single penny on price. Which is fair enough if he's only willing to sell them for that, but I'm not really. Selling some old gear at the moment though, big heavy amp and some cheap subs. See what I get for them, might leave me enough spare cash to offer him a price pretty close to what he is after!

I thin i'm gonna take your advice and go for something better quality but second hand. From the research i've done it seems slightly lower power but higher quality speakers are more efficient. As long as I get to hear them first I shouldn't have any troubles.

Thanks, Christian.
christianmurphy
Regular