You are here

Live Sound Dissertation help.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live Sound Dissertation help.

Postby MMasey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post on these foruma so i hope i don't annoying anyone if i haven't put this in the right section.

Basically, i'm a 3rd year Post-Grad student studying music production and i am currently starting my dissertation. My favourite part of my course if Live Sound so i have decided to do a research paper about the ways in which Digital Technology has affected the "Live Sound Experience". I want to focus of the speakers, mixing desks ad FX units and was wondering if i could get some pointers on where to look for information on development of thes products and if possible, your own opinions on how you think they have affected live sound.

Cheers :lol:
MMasey

Re: Live Sound Dissertation help.

Postby seablade » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 pm

There was a thread on this in theater sound if I recall correctly a year or two ago on this forum. If you have specific questions I can give you my own opinions, or at least maybe give you more specific advice to go to learn more.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Google is going to be your best friend here.... i started to write a few very basic blog posts about loud speakers & speaker designs example : The History Of Loudspeakers but i found there to be much more indepth blogs around which made mine look a little poor :frown:

Worth a try i guess lol
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 pm

If you are doing a post grad standard course then you are probably casting your net too wide. Choose just one of your 3 areas and research it really well.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Dave Gate » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:19 pm

+1 for what James said. A well written and researched piece of writing on a narrow, focused topic will do you more good than a well written and researched wide ranging piece that doesn't have room to go into any subject in depth.

I'm working on a research masters at the moment (not in a music related subject) and my dissertation has to be around 25,000 words. A typical taught masters dissertation could be as little as 12,000 words; and an undergraduate one 8,000-10,000 - which might sound a lot, but won't be if you try and cram too much into it.
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby TSH-Tim » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:46 pm

25,000 words ! = Sod that lol
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:10 am

When you're on a roll it's easy. Yesterday I wrote 1000 words without even thinking about it. Some of them were even in the right order . . .
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby MMasey » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I'm going to take James's advice and stick to one technology. The word count is 9000 words and my live sound lecture last year used to work for Soundcraft (or something like that) so it should be a good topic.

With that in mind, would i be able to get some of your opinions on how you think the advancements in mixing consoles has affected live sound, i.e. the ongoing debate between analogue and digital and such. Any odd bits of information would be very useful.

Once again thanks very much for your help.
MMasey

Postby Guy Johnson » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm no good for more than seven wo
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Guy Johnson wrote:I'm no good for more than seven wo

I see what you did there lol ;)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster