You are here

Live gig. Help needed.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live gig. Help needed.

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 am

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and I don't know anything about setting up a live concert and recording it.

My band is going to set up an indoor concert. Audience will be up to 500 people. The only thing I know about the venue is that it has a PA system and an audio mixer (soundboard).

My band's line-up:

1 Vocalist
1 Electric Guitarist (will be playing on an Epiphone SG and Epiphone Les Paul connected to a Marshall MA50C)
1 Bassist (will be playing on a Fender Jazz Bass connected to an Ampeg amplifier)
1 Drummer

I want to record the concert with 3 HD handycam camcorders and multitrack it. Could you guys explain me how to multitrack it? What equipment and microphones are needed?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Re: Live gig. Help needed.

Postby Jonesy512 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 am

The easiest way would be to get your hands on or even hire something similar to the Presonis Studio Live series.
These desks offer direct firewire output for 24 channels at up to 96k/24bit

There is also the option of splitting your input signals and running into an Analogue Digital converter using something like a Klark Teknik DN1248 Plus Splitter
http://www.klarkteknik.com/dn1248.php

and a Presonus AD converter should do the trick

If you get stuck Google is a fantastic resource SOS also ran a fantastic article on this subject a few months ago
Best of luck with it mate

Jonesy.
Jonesy512
Poster

Postby Phil Reynolds » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:07 am

If you're new to the whole thing, and can afford it, I'd suggest hiring someone to do the recording for you. That way, you're just free to worry about the gig itself without all the other paraphanalia - you're going to have enough on your plate without having to put yourself through the nightmare of engineering/recording/mixing/editing 101!

Do any of the studios in your local area offer a mobile recording package? There may even be someone who can combine the whole audio/video side of things for you. I live on a pretty small Island, and I can think of a few guys even over here who can offer such a package, so it shouldn't be that hard for you to track somebody down in your own area - you could start by asking at your local music shop.

Good luck!
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 am

Phil Reynolds wrote:If you're new to the whole thing, and can afford it, I'd suggest hiring someone to do the recording for you. That way, you're just free to worry about the gig itself without all the other paraphanalia - you're going to have enough on your plate without having to put yourself through the nightmare of engineering/recording/mixing/editing 101!

Do any of the studios in your local area offer a mobile recording package? There may even be someone who can combine the whole audio/video side of things for you. I live on a pretty small Island, and I can think of a few guys even over here who can offer such a package, so it shouldn't be that hard for you to track somebody down in your own area - you could start by asking at your local music shop.

Good luck!

Can a show be recorded on a multitrack using a mundane soundboard and rather cheap microphones?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby turbodave » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 am

Zeppelifan wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:If you're new to the whole thing, and can afford it, I'd suggest hiring someone to do the recording for you. That way, you're just free to worry about the gig itself without all the other paraphanalia - you're going to have enough on your plate without having to put yourself through the nightmare of engineering/recording/mixing/editing 101!

Good luck!
Can a show be recorded on a multitrack using a mundane soundboard and rather cheap microphones?
If you know what you are doing!!!.....Could Jenson Button, driving a Subaru Impreza, beat you driving a Formula 1 car?.....probably!! Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:38 am

Zeppelifan wrote:Can a show be recorded on a multitrack using a mundane soundboard and rather cheap microphones?

Maybe, but presumably if you're performing to an audience of 500, then the band will be fully amplified, so there's no point in setting up a second rig of 'cheap mics' if that's what you mean.

Whatever you do you need to work in with the venue's sound engineer and best option would be to split the mic inputs or take direct outs from the live desk into a recorder, and then add whatever extra mics you need (ambient etc).

But if you haven't done this before (as indicated by the fact you've asked the question) and you are a member of the band you simply won't have the focus or time to record.

So my advice would be to hire someone to do it for you or see if the venue engineer can provide this service.

Oh and unless you can sync all cameras and audio be prepared to spend a lot of time editing afterwards.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:17 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:
Zeppelifan wrote:Can a show be recorded on a multitrack using a mundane soundboard and rather cheap microphones?

Maybe, but presumably if you're performing to an audience of 500, then the band will be fully amplified, so there's no point in setting up a second rig of 'cheap mics' if that's what you mean.

Whatever you do you need to work in with the venue's sound engineer and best option would be to split the mic inputs or take direct outs from the live desk into a recorder, and then add whatever extra mics you need (ambient etc).

But if you haven't done this before (as indicated by the fact you've asked the question) and you are a member of the band you simply won't have the focus or time to record.

Bob

Well, I'm not a member of the band. Presumably, I'll be present at the soundboard and sometimes near the cameras. 4 members' sound need to be amplified. So I'll need one mic for the vocalist and another one for the drummer, but what happens to the guitars? They'll be connceted to the amplifires.

Bob Bickerton wrote:So my advice would be to hire someone to do it for you or see if the venue engineer can provide this service.

Oh and unless you can sync all cameras and audio be prepared to spend a lot of time editing afterwards.

Well, I have a plethora of reasons why not to hire anyone. I just want to do it myself.

Well, I'm pretty good at editing video, and I'll easily cope with it. The only problem is multritracking. I'll be visiting the venue one of these days and acquire the model of the PA system.
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 am

Mic everything up, whether you're putting it through the PA or not. Take a direct output from each channel that's being used on the desk to a multi-track recorder. Then you can mix it down later to use as your soundtrack for synchronisation.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:32 am

Dave Gate wrote:Mic everything up, whether you're putting it through the PA or not. Take a direct output from each channel that's being used on the desk to a multi-track recorder. Then you can mix it down later to use as your soundtrack for synchronisation.
So the only things I'll need to mic up will be the vocalist and the drummer?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:41 am

Zeppelifan wrote:
Dave Gate wrote:Mic everything up, whether you're putting it through the PA or not. Take a direct output from each channel that's being used on the desk to a multi-track recorder. Then you can mix it down later to use as your soundtrack for synchronisation.

No, if you want to record everything to the multitrack you'll need to mic up everything. And probably add a couple of ambient mics to pick up crowd noise too.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 am

Dave Gate wrote:
Zeppelifan wrote:

No, if you want to record everything to the multitrack you'll need to mic up everything. And probably add a couple of ambient mics to pick up crowd noise too.

How can I mic up electric and bass gutiars that are connected to amplifiers?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 am

Put a mic in front of the speaker.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 am

Dave Gate wrote:Put a mic in front of the speaker.
That's what I was thinking to do, but don't the amplifiers have some kind of special output that can be connected to the audio mixer to record a high quality sound?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 am

Most of the time at least part of the desired sound of a guitar or bass comes from the amp and its speaker, so you'd want to capture that; otherwise you would end up with a very sterile sounding recording.

Having said that it's quite normal to put a DI box on the bass as well, so that the FOH engineer can mix clean and dirty bass sounds to get the desired blend.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 am

Dave Gate wrote:Most of the time at least part of the desired sound of a guitar or bass comes from the amp and its speaker, so you'd want to capture that; otherwise you would end up with a very sterile sounding recording.

Having said that it's quite normal to put a DI box on the bass as well, so that the FOH engineer can mix clean and dirty bass sounds to get the desired blend.

I'm a bit confused

Electric guitar with its cable will be connected to the amplifier.
Bass guitar with its cable will be connceted to the amplifier.

These amplifiers will be connected to the audio mixer, and the audio mixer will be connected to the PA system. Am I right?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby tacitus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am

No, not usually. As stated above, the whole chain of guitar (cable) amp and speaker is instrumental (pun sort of intended) in achieving the final sound. So if the guitars are going in to the PA, it's usually done by sticking a mic in front of the speaker to get the tone the guitarist wants. With bass, it's a little different, because although the bass player may want a particular tone, by the time you get to a recording, it often helps to be able to take a direct signal from the amp to the mixer and blend it with the miked signal to add definition - it can get a bit woolly down there. Having the choice is useful to whoever mixes it down to be able to get a good bass sound and definition at the same time.

I'd have a trawl through the forum here and do some googling to fill in the gaps in your knowledge- recording a rock band is nothing like recording real life! That said, if you want to do this for your own education, the first key stage is to get a separate track for each instrument as far as is possible (anything miked will have some bleed from other instruments or the audience in it; it's how much that's important). Once you have that, you can experiment to your heart's content with mixing it down again to sound how you think it was at the gig.

It's a bit daunting if you normally record audio for video or if you record classical type acoustic ensembles where you need to get it right straight off as it's played. The equivalent here is the clean track for each instrument. In theory, you could record a well-balanced rock band with a single pair of mics as you would an orchestra, bit there are so many reasons in real life to make that unworkable I wouldn't recommend even thinking of going there. Again, the rock band equivalent of the purist approach is probably (and I expect people will disagree with me on this) to take the PA feed and add audience mics. Trouble is, that only works if everything is already in the PA mix - if the only guitar you get is from bleed into the vocal mics it's not going to be brilliant! Plus the balance of what IS in there will probably be off-kilter.

If you can get direct outs from the desk AND add your own mics to get anything not already going into the PA mix you may have a start there (again, as already recommended above). Obviously if this is going to be a video soundtrack, you'll know what to do about getting the audience in there as well. Try to get the SE to give you direct outs pre-fade so you don't have to adjust your settings every time he moves a fader.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 am

Huge thanks to everyone. I'll be back after visiting the venue and getting acquainted with the equipment.
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Matt_Moose » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:06 am

My advice: whatever happens at this gig, put it down to experience.

It sounds like you've got a fair bit to learn, so getting a good recording is going to be tricky for first time out. Mind you, we've all had to start somewhere.

Fundamental point: you have to get each individual sound source onto an individual track to mix later. What you hear at a gig doesn't always come from the main PA, it will have some backline (ie the guitarist's amps) and drum noise - hence why folks are suggesting a couple of mics for ambient noise. However, just using those themselves will _not_ enable you to get a good mix - you obviously need the individual instruments as you would in your studio.

So, mic-ing up the kit (full set of drum mics?); mic up the guitarist's amp - it'll be part of his Jimmy Page tone he's spent years perfecting - <a href="/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LIVE&Number=57010&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=3" target="_blank">read this thread here...</a> Probably DI the bass. Vocalist - record clean/pre- any reverb, can add that back in the mix.

If you just take a "recording" - ie press record, all goes to one track, the chances are it'll sound more like the room and less like the band playing their little hearts out.

Good luck...

Edited to add:
Oops - think that's pretty much what tacitus just said
Matt_Moose
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:22 am

Zeppelifan wrote:Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and I don't know anything about setting up a live concert and recording it.

My band is going to set up an indoor concert. Audience will be up to 500 people. The only thing I know about the venue is that it has a PA system and an audio mixer (soundboard).

My band's line-up:

1 Vocalist
1 Electric Guitarist (will be playing on an Epiphone SG and Epiphone Les Paul connected to a Marshall MA50C)
1 Bassist (will be playing on a Fender Jazz Bass connected to an Ampeg amplifier)
1 Drummer

I want to record the concert with 3 HD handycam camcorders and multitrack it. Could you guys explain me how to multitrack it? What equipment and microphones are needed?

Are you playing in the band as well? Have you got access to the venue, the sound system and its operator for at least a couple of hours before the audience arrive, so that you can set up and test the recording system? Have you GOT a multitrack recording system which you're practiced in using?

Make sure at least one of the cameras is set up near the centre of the hall, and that it records the whole performance. I think you'll end up finding its audio track very useful :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Zeppelifan wrote:Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and I don't know anything about setting up a live concert and recording it.

My band's line-up:

1 Vocalist
1 Drummer

Are you playing in the band as well? Have you got access to the venue, the sound system and its operator for at least a couple of hours before the audience arrive, so that you can set up and test the recording system? Have you GOT a multitrack recording system which you're practiced in using?

Make sure at least one of the cameras is set up near the centre of the hall, and that it records the whole performance. I think you'll end up finding its audio track very useful :-)

I'm not playing in the band; although, I'm the main manager and I have a full access to the stage and the PA system. Exactly what equipment do I need for multitracking?

The concert will be shot with 4 cameras: One SD camcorder (Sony DCR-SX15E) that'll be distant from the stage. One HD camcorder (Sony HDR-SR12) right in front of the stage (will be used usually for close-ups), and two other camcorders (HD hopefully).

And yes, we'll have time prior to the gig for the sound/camera check.
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 pm

I would say that you need to work closely with the venue's FOH engineer. You obviously know the video side of things pretty well; let them guide you on the audio side.
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Zeppelifan wrote:Exactly what equipment do I need for multitracking?

I don't mean to be cruel, but if you're having to ask this question then your chances of being up to speed with everything you need to learn before the gig is close to zero. Live recordings, done properly, are a very tough assignment, and as as seasoned studio engineer, I have a lot of admiration for those who can do it.

Either use this experience to just have a go (maybe a simple hardware recorder tapped into the FOH desk?), or hire in an expert. Maybe the engineer/venue has done this type of thing before and can help you out?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm

The Elf wrote:
Zeppelifan wrote:Exactly what equipment do I need for multitracking?

I don't mean to be cruel, but if you're having to ask this question then your chances of being up to speed with everything you need to learn before the gig is close to zero. Live recordings, done properly, are a very tough assignment, and as as seasoned studio engineer, I have a lot of admiration for those who can do it.

Either use this experience to just have a go (maybe a simple hardware recorder tapped into the FOH desk?), or hire in an expert. Maybe the engineer/venue has done this type of thing before and can help you out?

Well, the concert is fixed for June, so I think I have enough time. Now I just want a list of the needed equipment.
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Dave Gate wrote:I would say that you need to work closely with the venue's FOH engineer. You obviously know the video side of things pretty well; let them guide you on the audio side.
Well, problem is that I'll be the concert's FOH.
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I really think that you need to get hold of someone who is experienced in FOH sound and taking a live recording off the desk.

You obviously know about video, and are confident that you can organise a multi-camera shoot, and edit the results to give you what you need visually. You wouldn't let someone who didn't know how to focus a camera or set up a tripod run your video shoot for you. So why take on the equally important audio side when your skills lie elsewhere?
Dave Gate
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

You need to know:

What is the make and model of the desk/board?
What's your budget?
How many tracks do you need to record, knowing the desk will help with this one.

Once you know there things come back with details of the line up.

It can be done but don't expect "Bob Marley Live" first time out.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Zeppelifan wrote:
Well, the concert is fixed for June, so I think I have enough time. Now i just want a list of the needed equipment.

How much have you got to spend? :-)

OK. Look at the board, make sure there is a Direct Out (or the facility to "sniff" one from a pre-fade insert jack) for each channel. Pay particular attention to how the sound operator intends to mic the drum kit - you'll find life much easier if he doesn't need TOO many microphones.

Go in as soon as possible and make a trial recording - if there are going to be problems with ground loops etc. you need to find out now, not on the performance day.

How many tracks will you need? Vocals, guitar, bass - can you limit the drums to 3 channels? That leaves 2 for a pair of room mics while staying inside the affordable limit of an 8 track recorder.

Look at the Zoom R16. This portable and affordable unit will capture 8 simultaneous tracks. Two inputs have phantom powering - useful if your room mics require it. You also get a copy of a "lite" version of Cubase to install on your home computer, allowing you to transfer the tracks and mix in comfort.

You COULD substitute the room mics with a stand-alone portable recorder (again, Zoom offer suitable units). Or with the audio from one of the cameras. With digital recording, wild synch should line up OK.

Another approach is to mic the band completely independently of the house system. Sit near the stage with your Zoom R16 (or whatever). Stick a SM57 in front of each guitar cabinet. Stick some mics on the drums. Tape another mic to the vocalist's mic, or buy a mic splitter. This way you end up owning equipment that will help you multi-track record the band in other situations.

If you intend to do this a lot, you could invest in a mixer with integral multitrack audio interface and substitute it for the house mixer. Look at the Mackie Onyx 16401
http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxiseries/ There are cheaper versions with fewer channels.

I'll bet you settle for the camera audio for the live video, and end up multitracking in a studio to get a much tidier final recording. But have fun!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Zeppelinfan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 pm

I received an information about the venue:

PA: NEXO GEO D10 (http://nexo-sa.com/en/products/16/geo-d10/)
Sound Mixer: Soundcraft SI Compact 32

Any advices how to multitrack with the help of these?
Zeppelinfan
Poster

Postby dmills » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Nice gear!

IIRC the Si32 compact has 16 assignable outputs on the back of the console, at line level on XLR, some of which will probably be in use for the main rig and monitors, but if a reasonable number are unused it would be a convenient way to get line level feeds to a recorder.

Have you spoke to the house tech about how best to skin this cat yet?

I am slightly worried by your not knowing how an electric guitar is normally handled on a stage as this is very basic live sound (And the assumption that the DI sockets on guitar and bass amps are even remotely trustworthy is especially funny), and to be adding recording and video on top of what is already clearly going to be an 'interesting learning experience' is going to make things REALLY STRESSED.
Do you at least understand how to ring out a rig to avoid feedback?

I would figure on a team of at least three people to do what you are trying to do:

One video guy who should JUST be looking after video side (Note that band lighting is more often then not a problem for video, you will want the cameras taken to manual aperture (May require a camera operator per camera as well), and a rack operator at the CCU rack is not a bad idea), close liaison with the lighting guy is a must here.

One live sound guy, responsible for the sound out front (and possibly monitors - important and actually more difficult then just putting the one mix for out front together), possibly also a monitor engineer, but that is scale dependent.

One Recording guy to look after the recording side (and the extra mics that may be required over and above whatever the PA needs).

Doing this with one person is a recipe for red faces all round IMHO.

Have you discussed with the band which aspect of the gig gets priority? The Live experience or the video? Lighting is different between the two, and you will be run off your feet.

Personally I suspect that you are grossly underestimating the sound side of the problem, and that you will run out of setup time big style (Even without the 'in at the deep end' learning live sound at the gig aspect).

Do PLEASE tell the venue technician that you do not really know live sound, they can compensate to some extent by doing some things for you, but will usually stay hands off it they assume you know what you are doing.

Have fun, but I think this will be an INTERESTING experience.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:42 pm

dmills wrote:
Do you at least understand how to ring out a rig to avoid feedback?

And understand why turning all levels down is a preferable solution? :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Next