You are here

PA Speaker connections

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA Speaker connections

Postby greenstarthree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi all, just a quick question:

We have a Yamaha MG166CX analogue mixer, which we use into a pair of Wharfedale EVP-X Series Powered Speakers. We’re currently using standard mono-jack cables to do this (instrument cables).

The other day I read a few articles online about the differences between instrument leads and speaker leads, and how using instrument cables for your main PA speakers can cause problems and damage. So I hastily picked up some ‘proper’ speaker cables (with XLR female connectors at the mixer end and Speakon connectors at the speaker end), but haven’t had a chance to try them yet.

I’ve since read a bit more and gotten confused, so just wondered, since we’re using a passive mixer with powered speakers, do the rules about using instrument cable still apply, or is it only for passive speakers from an external amp?

Thanks!
Adam
greenstarthree
Poster

Re: PA Speaker connections

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 pm

What ho!

For an unpowered mixer connecting to powered speakers then normal 'instrument'/guitar cables are fine. I wouldn't use anything that's two flimsy though as these cables will not necessarily be tucked away and you'll probably have longish cable-runs.

For a powered mixer or separate amplifier connected to unpowered speakers then you would need different cables. Many people use 10-amp 2-core mains cable for connecting amps to unpowered speakers.

The reason is that the output from an unpowered mixer - a 'line-level' output - is at about 1 volt. Speaker cables have to deal with many tens of volts - an amp I've just bought puts out about 40 volts onto the speakers.

That's the simple answer, but I think it's enough to answer your questions.

Cheers! Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby greenstarthree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply,

Gah! So I don't necessarily need the speaker leads? In fact, from what I’ve read speaker leads are also unshielded, so would they actually be worse due to interference noise?!

This being the case, I assume the switch I need to make (I was getting some buzz/hum with the guitar cables) is to go with a pair of balanced XLR leads? (The Wharfedale speakers have Jack/XLR/Speakon multi inputs).

For example the same cable I’m using to connect my mic’s (SM58) to the mixer, like this one:..?

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-xlr/xlrma-xlrfe-10m-blk/invt/574721/

Sorry for appearing to be a newbie!
Cheers
Adam
greenstarthree
Poster

Postby grab » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Yep, that's the one.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby greenstarthree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Crumbs!

Best get on the blower to Studiospares about returning the Speaker leads then!

Thanks for your help guys!
Adam
greenstarthree
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:58 pm

greenstarthree wrote:...Sorry for appearing to be a newbie!...
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a newbie - roll-up and c'mon in is what I say!
... and I'm still a newbie in many aspects - even though I've been involved in sound-stuff for 40 years! There's always something more to learn and that's the great thing about this place - most people are very happy to help if they can.

Much better to ask than guess... some guesses might be very detrimental to your gear - or you!

Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Speaker cables have to deal with many tens of volts - an amp I've just bought puts out about 40 volts onto the speakers.

More importantly, speaker cables have to deal with higher currents - possibly tens of amps if you are using speakers in parallel with a big amplifier. That's why thick cables with plenty of copper in them are better for speakers.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:51 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Speaker cables have to deal with many tens of volts - an amp I've just bought puts out about 40 volts onto the speakers.

More importantly, speaker cables have to deal with higher currents - possibly tens of amps if you are using speakers in parallel with a big amplifier. That's why thick cables with plenty of copper in them are better for speakers.

James.
See? That just proves my point about always something new to learn!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster