You are here

Looking for light yet full range active speakers!?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Looking for light yet full range active speakers!?

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of lightweight speakers (under 20kg) that are at least as full range as my JBL EON 15G2's and a minimum of 129db?
There are certain gigs where it's not appropriate to use my EON 518S subs and I would just like to use a pair of tops. I would still like to be able to mic a kick drum and put bass through the speakers and I'm wondering if there is anything lighter than my EON's that can do this?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for light yet full range active speakers!?

Postby SparkyG » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 pm

QSC K12, 131dB max SPL, 18.6 kg.
SparkyG
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Whilst the QSC K12s are a wonderful speaker and even though they're rated as higher SPL than the G2s, I still revert to G2s for full range material (when I'm not using subs). Somehow the K12s don't sound tight enough with the lower frequencies even though they sound better overall. Not familiar with the new Eons.

Now a K15 would be an interesting beast if it existed!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far! A QSC K15 would be a great idea but I doubt that it would be lighter than my EON 15G2's (if QSC ever make one).

Any others?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Bazza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Another vote for the QSCs, but I never really liked the sound of the JBLs. Make of that what you will.
Bazza
Regular

This time next week, who'll give a sh*t http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Postby TSH-Tim » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Little heads up... I've heard from a VERY good source that Mackie will be bringing out a high-end 15" + 1.5" all neo | switchmode & under the £900 inc VAT mark later this year
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:21 am

TSH-Tim wrote:Little heads up... I've heard from a VERY good source that Mackie will be bringing out a high-end 15" + 1.5" all neo | switchmode & under the £900 inc VAT mark later this year

This could be interesting! Will this be an addition to the SRM range or something new?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Sullivan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:07 am

Don't know how much they are on your side of the pond, but I love my ELX's from EV, and the 15's are just under 40lbs (20kg = 44lbs), wood enclosure, and sound great. Just my opinion.
Mike Sullivan
Regular

Postby seablade » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 am

iceman1575 wrote:Don't know how much they are on your side of the pond, but I love my ELX's from EV, and the 15's are just under 40lbs (20kg = 44lbs), wood enclosure, and sound great. Just my opinion.

For the record, I just purchased 2 of the ELX115p powered Live X myself for the department at the local Uni I teach at, ran a concert on Saturday with no rehearsal, and no time to tune the system, on brand new speakers and brand new console, and one of the first comments I got...

"Are these our speakers? They sound AMAZING!"

They had just come from another location with the exact same performers and material, but a different system (Rental provided by a local company coordinated by the Alumni Association, in other words I wasn't involved) that my sound blew away the quality of sound there. In this case it is more than likely the skill of the operator at the other location may have had something to do with it, as I haven't worked with him before and don't know his ability, and I know the company has at least decent equipment.

My point being that out of the box, with absolutely no tuning (Had an hour to set everything up by myself) these speakers did a very effective job. It is my intention to purchase subs to pair these with, but for no subs they held their own rather well and quality of sound was great, confirming my memory of the demo I took of them a little while back. Well worth a listen.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 am

iceman1575 wrote:Don't know how much they are on your side of the pond, but I love my ELX's from EV, and the 15's are just under 40lbs (20kg = 44lbs), wood enclosure, and sound great. Just my opinion.

Hi, I think you may be talking about the passives. The actives are 22.5kg which is heavier than I want.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 am

dickiefunk wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of lightweight speakers (under 20kg) that are at least as full range as my JBL EON 15G2's and a minimum of 129db?
There are certain gigs where it's not appropriate to use my EON 518S subs and I would just like to use a pair of tops. I would still like to be able to mic a kick drum and put bass through the speakers and I'm wondering if there is anything lighter than my EON's that can do this?

Listen to the new RCF D-Line 12's, they are absolutely spectacular: they're a 15" sized cab, with incredible bass response, but the mid/top clarity is easily the best I've heard from anything this side of Nexo. Google/Youtube it.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 am

Never heard of these RCF's. Just had a quick look and noticed that they are 12"s . They do look like they could be an option though!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

dickiefunk wrote:Never heard of these RCF's. Just had a quick look and noticed that they are 12"s . They do look like they could be an option though!

Well, they're lighter than your JBL's and they have a better SPL too: they're the very latest speaker, easily on par with the more expensive 7xx series.

You might also think about the Yamaha DSR/DXR range, the later being a Nexo design, as they do a 15" speaker with an SPL of 136!!! They are monstrously loud, although compared to the RCF's they lack a bit of mid-range detail.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 pm

I recently had the chance to A/B the new JBL EON 515XT's next to my 15G2's as mentioned in the other thread and found the 515XT's to be much more bass light but a little clearer in the mid range. The 15G2's coped with bass guitar much better than the 515XT's which is one of the things I want from a new set of speakers.

I am looking for something with at least as much bottom end as my 15G2's but with the better mid range and extended top end of the 515XT's.

Any ideas which speakers on the market at the moment offer this whilst being lighter than my G2's without costing a bomb!?

The QSC K12's and RCF D-line HD 12a look like contenders? Anyone tried these next to either the EON 15G2's or 515XT's?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 am

Yes, as I posted above I have both the K12s and the G2s.

The K12s sound better than the G2s in terms of mids and highs, but the G2 wins out in terms of bass response for full range material. So I suspect the K12s would not give you what you want, as indeed any 12" speaker would probably be challenged.

I have 4 K12s in a theatre installation, but have subs, so the bottom end is not an issue - sounds fabulous and actually better than a number of touring rigs that have gone in there.

I also have a pair of K10s which I use for acoustic work, again they sound great, but do not have the bottom end response of the G2s.

I'm starting to think you're on a holy grail quest here. I find the G2s are perfectly workable given a good dose of GEQ. They are particularly edgy around 4kHz, so I find with appropriate EQ they are good to go, if not esoteric. So when I set up a GEQ for the G2s I'm both compensating for the speakers as well as the room, if you see what I mean. Also, and this may not be relevant, these days I generally tune the system using a few familiar tracks, working the graphic notching out nasties and subtly bringing up a few frequencies if required. When working with G2s I really focus on the 2 to 6kHz range almost looking to over adjust, but the end result seems pretty good. I'm not saying they're great speakers, but they are a bit of a workhorse.

My thoughts are that I'd be very cautious of making your decision on advice given here (self defeating advice in itself!), as I'm not sure your expectations will be met. Might be time to go and audition more options.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Sullivan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 am

seablade wrote:

For the record, I just purchased 2 of the ELX115p powered Live X myself for the department at the local Uni I teach at, ran a concert on Saturday with no rehearsal, and no time to tune the system, on brand new speakers and brand new console, and one of the first comments I got...

"Are these our speakers? They sound AMAZING!"

They had just come from another location with the exact same performers and material, but a different system (Rental provided by a local company coordinated by the Alumni Association, in other words I wasn't involved) that my sound blew away the quality of sound there. In this case it is more than likely the skill of the operator at the other location may have had something to do with it, as I haven't worked with him before and don't know his ability, and I know the company has at least decent equipment.

My point being that out of the box, with absolutely no tuning (Had an hour to set everything up by myself) these speakers did a very effective job. It is my intention to purchase subs to pair these with, but for no subs they held their own rather well and quality of sound was great, confirming my memory of the demo I took of them a little while back. Well worth a listen.

Seablade

Definitely! I LOVE mine! For recorded music, they're AMAZING in any situation, and as far as live sound, well, we'll find out soon (done a few gigs but can't really say much, lol).

The site actually states they're around 65lbs (29.5 kg) however I barely believe that in the least little bit. My old Yamaha S series passive speakers are just as heavy as these things. If moving them around is an issue, I'd suggest a nice fold-up dolly (Over here, we have Magna-kart's, and they're great for moving around tops AND subs). I've heard good things about RCF's cabinets, but for the price, I HIGHLY recommend the EV's if your budget is tight and you want a nice clean sound. I'd love to know why people put them down, because I haven't heard anything yet that compares.
Mike Sullivan
Regular

Postby dickiefunk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:

I'm starting to think you're on a holy grail quest here. I find the G2s are perfectly workable given a good dose of GEQ. They are particularly edgy around 4kHz, so I find with appropriate EQ they are good to go, if not esoteric. So when I set up a GEQ for the G2s I'm both compensating for the speakers as well as the room, if you see what I mean. Also, and this may not be relevant, these days I generally tune the system using a few familiar tracks, working the graphic notching out nasties and subtly bringing up a few frequencies if required. When working with G2s I really focus on the 2 to 6kHz range almost looking to over adjust, but the end result seems pretty good. I'm not saying they're great speakers, but they are a bit of a workhorse.

Bob

Yeah I'm starting to think the same! I'm a little curious about the JBL PRX range and the RCF D-Line HD12a. Also very curious about what Mackie may be bringing out at the end of the year!

Guess I'll stick with my EON's for the time being.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Simon R » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:05 pm

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
dickiefunk wrote:Never heard of these RCF's. Just had a quick look and noticed that they are 12"s . They do look like they could be an option though!

Well, they're lighter than your JBL's and they have a better SPL too: they're the very latest speaker, easily on par with the more expensive 7xx series.

You might also think about the Yamaha DSR/DXR range, the later being a Nexo design, as they do a 15" speaker with an SPL of 136!!! They are monstrously loud, although compared to the RCF's they lack a bit of mid-range detail.

Yamaha NEXO DXR12 kicks ass! I used to own QSC K12, but after trying DXR12, I decided to replace my K12 with DXR. If the D-CONTOUR processing is enabled, this mighty 12" model can beat JBL EON515XT!
Simon R

Postby seablade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Mike Sullivan wrote:
The site actually states they're around 65lbs (29.5 kg) however I barely believe that in the least little bit.

That is the ship weight, the unboxed weight as mentioned above is a bit lighter, though I suspect still a bit on the heavy side myself as they are relatively light.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:05 pm

FBT? Not a household name in comparison to mackie rcf ev etc etc but they seem to have great reviews. A local store to me has just started stocking them and next time I'm over I may have a quick listen

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/sound-c16/pa-packages-c117/fbt-promaxx-14a-900-watt-rms-active-speakers-pair-p811
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Postby Mike Sullivan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Dave71 wrote:FBT? Not a household name in comparison to mackie rcf ev etc etc but they seem to have great reviews. A local store to me has just started stocking them and next time I'm over I may have a quick listen

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/sound-c16/pa-packages-c117/fbt-promaxx-14a-900-watt-rms-active-speakers-pair-p811

I've heard FBT floating around with good reviews. But almost £1,800 (which is somewhere around $2900 for the pair seems a bit much to me. They may sound better, and if so, then the price sounds fair. But compared to the EV's, which are almost £500 cheaper on that site for the 15 and £615 for the 12's, I wouldn't know. Let me know what you find out, would be interesting to know.
Mike Sullivan
Regular