You are here

Holy sub output!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Holy sub output!

Postby Mike Sullivan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Maybe some of you guys can explain this to me...I'm running a Mackie VLZ3 into a Berry FBQ3102, which goes right out to my EV's. At first, I ran them stereo with the cable going from EQ to 15 to 18 subs, then tried the aux-fed sub approach (feeding the subwoofer signal from an aux send) in an attempt to tailor the bass. The output just didn't sound right, even though the subs have a LPF built in...Tried the "Sub Out" on the rear of the EQ into one channel of an MDX2600 (for output control) and barely turned it up and WOW! The signal was so much fuller sounding, so much that I have to turn it down -20dB to bring the signal into equilibrium. Can anyone explain why the signal from the subwoofer output is so much higher than a typical aux send? Actually, with this method, the subwoofers sound like they're actually getting a LOT louder than they used to.
Mike Sullivan
Regular

Re: Holy sub output!

Postby Mike Sullivan » Sat May 05, 2012 6:39 am

Nobody able to give me a diagnosis? From the sounds of it, the "sub out" has a much hotter output to me. I'll have to play with it in a venue without a crazy old lady calling the cops on us once a night if you can hear a peep outside...fml
Mike Sullivan
Regular

Re: Holy sub output!

Postby seablade » Sat May 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Mike Sullivan wrote:Nobody able to give me a diagnosis? From the sounds of it, the "sub out" has a much hotter output to me. I'll have to play with it in a venue without a crazy old lady calling the cops on us once a night if you can hear a peep outside...fml

Think about what is going on with an aux fed sub. You are sending a full range signal to a crossover that gets rid of most of the signal. So you have to increase gain significantly to get a full line level signal again. Chances are the EQ is doing this automatically, but normally this is what you use output gain on a system processor for.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster