You are here

What headset mic..?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What headset mic..?

Postby infiniteloop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm looking to purchase a headset mic to replace my current Shure Beta 58. Would be interested in hearing your recomendations. General brief is not wireless, not too expensive, durability & of course sound quality which has to be at least on par with at least an SM58

Cheers in advance..
infiniteloop
Regular

Re: What headset mic..?

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Have a look at:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... Post971467

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... Post883751

... and looking for these links I see that you asked the question before... was there something about those answers that didn't fully answer your question then? If so it would be useful to know so that the answers can be more specific if they need to be.

Cheers! Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby infiniteloop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Are you sure about that Mike..?!? I can't see any reference to asking this question before on the forum but if I did then apologies offered.
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:02 pm

No apologies needed... but I did find this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showt ... =5&o=&vc=1

which was why I was wondering if your specific itch hadn't been scratched!

M
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby infiniteloop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Over a year ago..lol.! I don't remember that at all..senility's a bitch

Cheers for that Mike although my post is still valid, so recommendations still welcome.

One that has caught my eye is the Shure WH20(XLR) but it's difficult to take a leap of faith & purchase without hearing first..
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Without referring to the earlier threads, I recommend the AKG C520 which (along with the earlier C420) I have used for many years.

I've also done various tests from time to time and the C520 has always come up on top. This is assuming you want a mic for working in potentially louder stage/band environments as opposed to discreet theatre mic applications.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Bob Bickerton is a strong advocate of the AKG 520 in those threads and others have agreed.

Bob knows what he's about. Not only is he a performer, but also a live-sound supplier and operator and a studio owner. I respect his judgment. F'r instance he recently suggested that the answer to one of my specific probs was to spend upwards of £1K on a new mixer. He was absolutely right and I'm well-pleased with all the advantages that the new gear has brought - and I've just about recouped the outlay by selling-on the outboard gear I now no longer need.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Without referring to the earlier threads, I recommend the AKG C520 which (along with the earlier C420) I have used for many years.

+1 for that.

I use the C520 with my WMS40 wireless pack, and although it's companded/compressed slightly, it sounds great. It has excellent mid/top response, you'd swear it was a wired mic, and it's far, far more detailed than an SM58.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster