You are here

Yamaha 01V - Noisy?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Yamaha 01V - Noisy?

Postby dickiefunk » Sun May 06, 2012 12:26 am

Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha 01V with my JBL rig at the moment and noticed that there can be quite a bit of hiss on occasions.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy? I don't really have anything to compare it to but the specs on the Yamaha website look like the pres should be pretty quiet!??
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Re: Yamaha 01V - Noisy?

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 am

dickiefunk wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy?

How much gain are you using on the input, and what mic are you using? I've used 01v's for year, although not recently, and they were never that noisy from memory (and I'm a bit of a noise police man too!). You could gate it straight from the desk, but that kind of defeats the issue as you're not getting to the root of the problem.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Sun May 06, 2012 9:57 am

Agree - if noticing noise, then something may be wrong.

(unless using a very low-output mic, with the gain cranked way up)
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 am

What JBLs are you using?
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby dickiefunk » Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 am

shufflebeat wrote:What JBLs are you using?

EON 15 G2's. Also tried the EON 515XT's.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby seablade » Sun May 06, 2012 10:52 am

dickiefunk wrote:Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha 01V with my JBL rig at the moment and noticed that there can be quite a bit of hiss on occasions.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha 01V is noisy? I don't really have anything to compare it to but the specs on the Yamaha website look like the pres should be pretty quiet!??

If this is the original O1v, then yes noise can be a problem, particularly if using the compressors in it and the Omni Outs if I remember right are also noisy. The converters in that console were only 16 bit, so using a heav(ier) compression and makeup gain results in a fair amount of noise on the channel, and having to do it multiple times makes it that much worse going off memory. And I remember either the Omni Outs or the OptionIO were noiser, to the point of I bypassed them completely last time I had to use that console. Pretty certain it was the Omni Outs.

The O1V96i on the other hand, the few times I have run it now, has not had that problem and seems much improved in general over the original. But I haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 am

dickiefunk wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:What JBLs are you using?

EON 15 G2's. Also tried the EON 515XT's.

Were you using there speakers with another desk previously with better noise floor? (Please excuse basic q?s. Just isolating the issue).
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby dickiefunk » Sun May 06, 2012 11:37 am

To be honest I've not really a/b'd another desk. I am definitely noticing the omni outs being very noisy!

The gain is generally set around 9 o'clock so not very high and the faders are roughly between -15 and 0.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Dishpan » Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 pm

> If this is the original O1v, then yes noise can be a problem, particularly if using the compressors in it and the Omni Outs if I remember right are also noisy. The converters in that console were only 16 bit, so using a heav(ier) compression and makeup gain results in a fair amount of noise on the channel, and having to do it multiple times makes it that much worse going off memory.

Convertors in the 01v are 20 bit. The convertors aren't a problem but the preamps are (in my opinion) horrid and very noisy.
Dishpan
Regular

Postby dickiefunk » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

Just been reading that the 01V had a grounding issue which is fixable by soldering a wire between ST201 and ST202? Will get this looked at and see if this makes any difference?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby seablade » Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am

Dishpan wrote:
Convertors in the 01v are 20 bit. The convertors aren't a problem but the preamps are (in my opinion) horrid and very noisy.

Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The Master Out and Option IO converters on the other hand are listed as 20 Bit and 16-24 Bit respectively.

In actual reality the performance is similar to 16 Bit in my experience in how you have to utilize them (Gain closer to max, etc.) in a live situation to get a decent sound, along with all my comments above. Even the digital IO allows for a better conversion range, but since you can't seperate the preamps from the limited converters, it is very difficult to tell exactly what the problem is there. I don't remember the preamps themselves being to noisy but it has been some time since I have been on that console thankfully. For some reason there was a brief stint where everyone and their mother had one of those for live sound and I hated it.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby seablade » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am

dickiefunk wrote:Just been reading that the 01V had a grounding issue which is fixable by soldering a wire between ST201 and ST202? Will get this looked at and see if this makes any difference?

This was the first I heard of it so I looked it up. No in this case it affected really an early shipment of O1V mixers, and the primary symptom it fixed was random reboots. It is exceedingly unlikely to help with the problems you are noticing I would bet.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby Dishpan » Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 am

> Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The inputs use 20 bit convertors. Yes, omni outs are 18 but this won't be a reason the desk would sound noisy.

My main point is that it won't be the convertors that are causing all this noise (unless the machine is faulty!), but more likely incorrect gain staging or the preamps being used with high gain.

> For some reason there was a brief stint where everyone and their mother had one of those for live sound and I hated it.

Ditto
Dishpan
Regular

Postby seablade » Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 am

Dishpan wrote:> Technically the Input and Omni Out converters are listed as 18-Bit actually.

The inputs use 20 bit convertors. Yes, omni outs are 18 but this won't be a reason the desk would sound noisy.

Hmm you seem to be correct, they list the inputs as 20 bit, but they don't act like it, nor do they list the dynamic range as what it should be for a 20 bit convertor(Listed at 105dB AD/DA on their spec page on the yamaha site). However that being said...

My main point is that it won't be the convertors that are causing all this noise (unless the machine is faulty!), but more likely incorrect gain staging or the preamps being used with high gain.

I have literally, taken the exact same input, exact same mix, and routed it to the Omni-Out and the Option IO simultaneously. The Option IO was much quieter than the Omni Out(I physically repatched cabling between them and listened), which yes can be attributed to more than just the convertor, but the convertor does not help in this case. And I can pretty well guarantee my gain staging is just about as good as you will get. Considering it was line level signals coming in, the preamp noise wasn't even an issue, it is entirely on the output and quality of the output in this case, which those are the only outputs with the lower DA conversion stage.

So yes there is far more going on than simply noisy preamps or bad gain staging with that board, sorry. Most of my experience on that board used line level sources, either playback or radio mics with their own pre-amps built in so I may not have even noticed noisy preamps(And indeed they aren't that noisy in my memory), but I did notice quite a few things other than that in that console. As I mentioned, the O1V96i, even running at 48k seems to be a great improvement in many ways thus far compared to the original.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm

seablade wrote:

I have literally, taken the exact same input, exact same mix, and routed it to the Omni-Out and the Option IO simultaneously. The Option IO was much quieter than the Omni Out(I physically repatched cabling between them and listened),

I may not have even noticed noisy preamps(And indeed they aren't that noisy in my memory)

Seablade

This is interesting. My 01V came with the Option I/O card. Is it possible to send the auxes out of the I/O card and would I get less noise?

Also it would be great if the pres aren't that noisy as I can't really afford to upgrade to the 01V96 for quite a while!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby seablade » Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

dickiefunk wrote:
This is interesting. My 01V came with the Option I/O card. Is it possible to send the auxes out of the I/O card and would I get less noise?

It most certainly is possible, and you should certainly try it.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster