You are here

Drum machine for live use or something else?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Drum machine for live use or something else?

Postby VOLOVIA » Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Live, acoustic guitar, I was thinking of a drum machine that could be controlled by a pedal-board or at least, a few pedals for start/stop, change, or better cycle through a song structure (verse/chorus/ etc.), and, ideally, a tap tempo one...
As anything out there? Alternatives? Tah!
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Re: Drum machine for live use or something else?

Postby VOLOVIA » Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 am

Hmm, replying to my own posting.. the epithomy of sadness I suppose.. anyway, searched a bit on the internet, as I might have done before posting and the result is...:

The Zoom RT-223 with its phantomatic Zoom FS01 Foot Switch, apparently sold separately and doing everything I need (from changing patterns to tap tempo) but not in their website catalogue.. discontinued?

Two questions: any experiences on this combo or better alternatives?

I also have a very 'efficient' netbook, a Toshiba with 2 Gigs of RAM, never crashed and long battery memory. Maybe some kind of low Ableton version controlled by footswitch? I have an Alesis interface hanging around with MIDI in too...

A little more interesting now? Cheers peeps.
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Re: Drum machine for live use or something else?

Postby EmGee » Sun May 27, 2012 6:02 pm

I've used an Alesis SR16 the same way - 2 pedal inputs, one for start/stop and one for tap tempo and pattern change, and found it really good. The only downside is that you can only swap 2 patterns with the pedal.

Although it all worked fine I've stopped using it and switched to computer now, which I prefer. A large number of remote controls have pedal inputs that could be made to work.

Good luck finding a solution!

EmGee 8-)
EmGee
Poster

EmGee

MBP, Focusrite Pro24DSP, Cubase 7.5,Logic X, Yamaha Motif, NI Komplete Ultimate, Maschine