You are here

Amp power question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Amp power question

Postby boomtown » Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 am

I don't know too much about sound but I have recently been given the task of buying new speakers for my buddy as part of a hobby and wanted to set him up with everything he needs. He hosts a lot of parties and needed something new to keep music going. We've bought 4 JBL JRX 115's that are 250W continuous. The only problem is, I'm not the smartest at pairing amps to speakers and don't want to blow his system. We've been looking at buying a crown xti4002 but I don't know if it will be enough power. We also want to leave enough room to add on maybe 2 monitors or a sub on a few occasions. Would it be advisable to buy two 4002's or something stronger? Am I just completely off on this? Any help would be appreciated.
boomtown

Re: Amp power question

Postby seablade » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 am

boomtown wrote:I don't know too much about sound but I have recently been given the task of buying new speakers for my buddy as part of a hobby and wanted to set him up with everything he needs. He hosts a lot of parties and needed something new to keep music going. We've bought 4 JBL JRX 115's that are 250W continuous. The only problem is, I'm not the smartest at pairing amps to speakers and don't want to blow his system. We've been looking at buying a crown xti4002 but I don't know if it will be enough power. We also want to leave enough room to add on maybe 2 monitors or a sub on a few occasions. Would it be advisable to buy two 4002's or something stronger? Am I just completely off on this? Any help would be appreciated.

XTi2002 deliver 475W into 8Ohms when run in stereo or dual mono. They will be fine for this application, and getting 2 of these would allow you to run another pair for monitors. For subs you may want to elect for something a bit stronger so the 4002 may be a better bet for that.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster