You are here

Hearing Protection / Ear plugs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Hearing Protection / Ear plugs

Postby Dodger » Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey

Ive found myself mixing more and more live gigs (which is most defiantly a good thing). However i am worried about the long term effects this will have on my hearing. Im only 18 my ears have got a long way to go :P

So i was talking to a older friend of mine recommended some ear plugs so when a band starts a new song i take them out get the song sounding good then when everything is sorted put them in for around 2 mins just to give my ears a break!

So what would you guys recommend ? i want to spend upto £100 ?

my main concern is to use them at gigs but when im finally back in a band they may be used at rehearsals and my own gigs.

thanks

Jack
Dodger
Regular

Re: Hearing Protection / Ear plugs

Postby turbodave » Mon May 28, 2012 8:57 pm

turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 28, 2012 10:17 pm

OK, I know what follows will divide people very definitely into pro and anti camps 'cos we've been there before... but I'll say it anyway...

... if you need earplugs it's too loud - end of.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Bossman » Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 am

I got earplugs from ACS (Dave linked to them above) - I got the ER15s. It was a while ago but they were about £165 IIRC - but well worth every penny.

I don't wear them while mixing FOH, but I do wear them while mixing monitors from the side of the stage, while setting up onstage, while miking drum kits, while walking anywhere around the back and side of the stage (while bands are playing), while listening to other bands.. basically anytime I'm not mixing FOH I will be wearing earplugs.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:

If only we could all work with bands where this was true. However, seeing as my snare alone, acoustic, with no amplification, can reach 110dB, I'd need to quit drums, and stop mixing rock bands to not need ear plugs.

And my snare is quiet compared to some...
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp

Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Bossman » Tue May 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Exavior Music wrote:However, seeing as my snare alone, acoustic, with no amplification, can reach 110dB...

I remember working at a festival, doing FOH in a marquee tent, and the noise boys came along, measured the level with the SPL meter and told me I had to turn the system down.. so I did, but they were still telling me to turn it down, by the time I had turned the system almost off completely we realised that it was the acoustic drums that were too loud - basically the drums were too loud even before they were amplified. :headbang:
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Chaparazzi » Tue May 29, 2012 12:43 pm

ER15's were my best purchase ever. I use them in rehearsal and on stage. For mixing the 9's would probably better. I used to use a pair of closed back well fitting headphones when mixing live. Easy to remove and people think that you're using them to monitor as opposed to hearing protection. This was loud small venue set-ups.
Chaparazzi
Regular

Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

Postby Bossman » Tue May 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... if you need earplugs it's too loud - end of.

If your working at a loud gig you don't have much choice*.. your there for most of the day. and the exposure to high SPLs for long periods of time is what can do real damage to your hearing. So even if its not too loud for the audience, it can be too loud for people that are working for long hours.

The punters have a choice, they can listen to the loud music, or they can go somewhere else. Listening to loud music for short periods isn't too much of a problem.

* actually, you do have a choice, you can either work or not work.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Bossman wrote:The punters have a choice, they can listen to the loud music, or they can go somewhere else.

And as you say, punters are typically exposed for a shorter time

( this being an exposure-related issue )
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Beat Poet » Tue May 29, 2012 1:29 pm

http://www.proplugs.com/ are a cheap, efficient option!
Beat Poet
Regular

Postby Bossman » Tue May 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Beat Poet wrote:http://www.proplugs.com/ are a cheap, efficient option!

+1

If you can't afford moulded ones, then the Doc's Proplugs are pretty good and are cheap.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby seablade » Tue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:

Mike, hate to say it you are very much overgeneralizing. I typed up a nice long post on why to use and not use earplugs at one point that is somewhere on this board. Simply put, a FOH guy should use earplugs to prevent damage due to long term repetitive exposure, and should NOT use earplugs to prevent damage due to short term exposure.

What this means....

That is you are wearing earplugs because your ears our ringing after a single concert, you need to look at your setup and what levels you are running at. If your ears are ringing, that means anyone with as undamaged hearing as you are also ringing, and if they are ringing you have already done damage to your hearing. So you are not only damaging your hearing, but also everyone else's.

IF, however, you are wearing earplugs not because your ears are ringing after the concert, but instead because you want to protect your hearing over the long term because REPEATEDLY being exposed to those levels will cause damage, then this is the correct reason to purchase and utilize earplugs.

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue May 29, 2012 7:58 pm

OK; happy to concede that I shot from the hip there without qualifying my statement.

I guess my position is pretty much as Seablade has stated and has been touched on by others...

M
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Bossman » Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm

seablade wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:

Mike, hate to say it you are very much overgeneralizing. I typed up a nice long post on why to use and not use earplugs at one point that is somewhere on this board. Simply put, a FOH guy should use earplugs to prevent damage due to long term repetitive exposure, and should NOT use earplugs to prevent damage due to short term exposure.

What this means....

That is you are wearing earplugs because your ears our ringing after a single concert, you need to look at your setup and what levels you are running at. If your ears are ringing, that means anyone with as undamaged hearing as you are also ringing, and if they are ringing you have already done damage to your hearing. So you are not only damaging your hearing, but also everyone else's.

IF, however, you are wearing earplugs not because your ears are ringing after the concert, but instead because you want to protect your hearing over the long term because REPEATEDLY being exposed to those levels will cause damage, then this is the correct reason to purchase and utilize earplugs.

Seablade

absolutely agree
Bossman
Frequent Poster