You are here

Upgrading powered speaker...

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Upgrading powered speaker...

Postby Mike Sullivan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 pm

(Yes, if you don't already know, I think outside the box with a lot of things, don't judge me, I'm always thinking of different stuff...)

To make it short, i run the ELX118P's. Looked at the specs the other day, and found out they were really rated for 125/126dB max SPL on the internal amp. The passive version runs the same component (EVS-18K), has a 96dB sens & is rated for 132dB max SPL. I was thinking, instead of buying another pair of subs to stack on top to achieve some balance (the tops are rated at 132dB (12) or 134dB (15) max SPL, would it be worth it to drop another woofer in with a higher sensitvity? I've been looking at the B&C 18PS76, 600w RMS, 99dB sens, as a test subject to see if the output would change. Just need a little more low end is all.
Mike Sullivan
Regular

Re: Upgrading powered speaker...

Postby Sheriton » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 am

Swapping out a driver for a different one will always affect the performance in undesirable ways. The cabinet will have been designed to work with its current driver (size, tuning, port setup etc.) so swapping in a different driver with different parameters may not work well in practice.
Sheriton
Regular
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Re: Upgrading powered speaker...

Postby Henry Mark1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing this great tips. It is very useful one. Keep sharing more like this in future.
Henry Mark1
Poster