You are here

Keyboard Stand

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Keyboard Stand

Postby infiniteloop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm looking to buy a new keyboard stand & was considering an Apex Ultimate AX-90, these are still available to buy and look just the job but after checking their web site I see they have been discontinued, though it doesn't say why. Does anyone know why as I'm still interested in buying one but now concerned there may be an issue with them..?!?

Other recommendations would be appreciated, the stand has to hold a Yamaha Motif XS7 & a Roland Juno Stage.
infiniteloop
Regular

Re: Keyboard Stand

Postby Stage73 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:39 pm

i would checkout K&M spider as pedals fit underneath, which is cool. Otherwise buy a fender rhodes (flat top mk2)
Stage73
Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:47 am

Blimey - lots of about turns in Ultimate land. First the new Apex series is discontinued, and now the V-stand is on it's way back. Very strange..

I've had an Apex for ... oohh ... must be getting on close to 20 years now. The 'no room for pedals' thing drives me nuts. And if your top keyboard is anything like a decent depth front to back, and your lower one is normal sized, the top obscures the lower keyboard unless you have a huge gap. That was ok when my rig was a Wavestation above a JD800 (ahh .. the good old days), but now (with two Kurzweils) it's frankly a pain. Plus, I like a nice high position to play in. The old Apex design just doesn't float my boat.

I recently got the QuikLok V stand for a single tier stand that collapsed small and it seems ok (although it's supplied 'gig bag' is paper thin!). I'm looking at getting the arms for a second tier to see how that goes, but I am dubious as my boards are both quite heavy. Still, worth a punt to see what it's like.

The K&M mentioned above looks quite funky, but I'd worry about the visibility issues again..

TBH, I'm looking out for a dual braced, two tier standard X stand for when I next gig two keys again. It's the most stable, relatively compact, and I've known people tour them to hell and they still keep going. I have a monster 'extra heavy and tall' version and it's converted me back to the fold.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby MarkOne » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 am

I'm really glad the V Stand is making a comeback. I got one 2nd hand on Ebay and it's great because it packs down so small and is built like a tank. I wanted a 2nd tier to use occasionally, but nothing has come up on the bay recently.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby infiniteloop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Currently I'm using a double-braced X stand with sloping extension arms similar to this:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/quik-lok-qlx-22-x-frame-keyboard-stand-with-second-tier--12045

The issue of pedal space is critical for me as I have 2 sustain pedals & a volume pedal, so in that regard the Spider Pro looks the biz. I'm not familiar with the Quiklok V stand at all..do you have any links I could check it out.? Couldn't see much online except for Quiklok Z range.?

The stand I currently use drives me insane..my Juno Stage when sitting on the extension arms does not sit level, it sits at a slight downward right angle even though the arms are set exactly the same..!
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby infiniteloop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Just found the Quiklok Z range this looks ideal if maybe a tad clumsy & time consuming to set up/tear down:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=99&sName=Z-726L
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Dave B » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 pm

quiklok version of the v-stand (the one that I have) is at :

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/quik-lok-qly-40-keyboard-stand--84408

I'm thinking of getting the QLX-3 second arm pair. If you scout around, you can get this cheaper. But if the Z stand floats your boat then go for it! Me, I'd be worried about transportation and set up time. Oh and it being too low for me!

I _think_ that the one you have is what I am considering. But not for a while atm.
Dave B
Frequent Poster

Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

(I came, I saw, I conkered)