You are here

Behringer X32

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Behringer X32

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Just finished reading Hugh's review in the August mag...

... looks like we've got a game-changer on our hands that will have everyone else running round like headless chickens...

The long-term 'on the road' test will be enlightening... have B'inger really cracked their reliability issues?

We shall see... but for now I'll start thinking how I'll raise £2000...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Behringer X32

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Just finished reading Hugh's review in the August mag...

... looks like we've got a game-changer on our hands that will have everyone else running round like headless chickens...

The long-term 'on the road' test will be enlightening... have B'inger really cracked their reliability issues?

I never thought I would lust over a Beh'ringpiece, but it looks like the ugly duckling syndrome maybe and B'ringer has finally evolved into something of grace and beauty, and reliability of course as well.

Now it's a case of Out The Box, then In The Box and then back Out The Box again if I go get one of these!

BTW - has anyone come across, and used, one of these?

http://www.instruments2go.co.uk/Alto-Masterlink-Live-24-24Ch-Mixing-Console-With-iPad-Dock-p-4568.html

If I understand it correctly, no interface with a computer, but can dock an iPad and on the iPad have DAW software running so this mixer can interface at least with a DAW on the iPad?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Mixed feelings (sorry for the pun)..

Happy if Behringer have managed to sort out their rather flaky manufacturing standards and have finally delivered a killer product.

But sad because...

Mike Stranks wrote:
... looks like we've got a game-changer on our hands

...Mr Stranks just used the phrase "Game-Changer"

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:Mixed feelings (sorry for the pun)..

Happy if Behringer have managed to sort out their rather flaky manufacturing standards and have finally delivered a killer product.

But sad because...

Mike Stranks wrote:

Eh? What am I missing?

Am I being Mr Naive here? Won't be the first time!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 pm

The Composer and the Autocom were good, basic compressors, although I've heard that they were based on somebody else's design.

The cable tester is a useful piece of kit, even if it doesn't test every cable known to personkind.

Sometimes Behringer come up with the goods.
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes, I've had some handy Behringer gear over the years, their equivalent of a Driverack was excellent (can't remember it's name), but my own personal experience is that much of their gear that I owned failed. And gear failure generally happens over time, so let's watch this space.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:

But sad because...

Mike Stranks wrote:

Eh? What am I missing?

It's the buzzword of the marketing zombies!... I hope you haven't been bitten
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Airfix » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 pm

it looks a bit plasticky
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Airfix wrote:it looks a bit plasticky

LOL... with a member name of Airfix this must SURELY be a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black' if ever I heard one

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby Airfix » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 pm

zenguitars on form tonight
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby N.icholas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 am

OneWorld wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Just finished reading Hugh's review in the August mag...

I never thought I would lust over a Beh'ringpiece, but it looks like the ugly duckling syndrome maybe and B'ringer has finally evolved into something of grace and beauty, and reliability of course as well.:

Now it's a case of Out The Box, then In The Box and then back Out The Box again if I go get one of these!

http://www.instruments2go.co.uk/Alto-Masterlink-Live-24-24Ch-Mixing-Console-With-iPad-Dock-p-4568.html

If I understand it correctly, no interface with a computer, but can dock an iPad and on the iPad have DAW software running so this mixer can interface at least with a DAW on the iPad?

mike you will probably have a bit of time to save as I think most of suppliers are sold out with pre-orders for first batch scheduled mid august.
Oneword - I understand that it does interface with a compter/laptop both for recording and as a control surface using fiwi or usb with embedded midi. Plus an app for the ipad for remote control (android on its way).

To get the oppinion of someone who has reviewed the desk in live action go and look at the x32 thread on soundforums
Nick
N.icholas
Regular
Nick

Postby Sheriton » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 am

Airfix wrote:it looks a bit plasticky

Compare it with A&H's GLD - that looks rather more plasticy but at this point in time, I suspect more people would happily pay more money for the GLD than for the X32. Time will tell.
Sheriton
Regular
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 am

Chevytraveller wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:

But sad because...

Mike Stranks wrote:

Eh? What am I missing?

It's the buzzword of the marketing zombies!... I hope you haven't been bitten
Ah! I see... you've clearly got me muddled-up with someone who's had an education. There isn't a clichy around that I won't grab with both hands whenever the opportunity arises.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby mpostor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am

There's another forum out there (soundforums.net) where a guy has had a test console for a few months. He's posted some very detailed replies to questions. He's done over 30 gigs with it and so far it hasn't put a foot wrong.
He's even tested the S16 snake system.
The thread is well worth a read for anyone considering buying this console.

Stu.

P.S. I'd also happily pay more for the A&H GLD system, but I don't have that sort of money and probably never will. £2k however is more within my reach so therefore the console warrants a look. With the first batch pretty much sold out, I guess that by the time the second batch is shipped, the early adopters will have been able to identify any shortcomings. Early adopter is just another word for 'unpaid tester'...!
mpostor
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am

Dave Gate wrote:The cable tester is a useful piece of kit, even if it doesn't test every cable known to personkind.

+1. Except, of course, that's a direct rip-off of someone else's design as well.

Thing about the X32 is that it's the first 'real' product that's come out since Music Group acquired Midas and Klark Teknik. But the X32 isn't a clone of anything. The worst you could accuse them of is developing something that Midas had already started. If this mixer had Midas written on it everywhere it currently says Behringer, I wonder how much speculation there'd be about whether it was any good or not. I don't suppose Hugh associated his name with Behringer (by writing a broadly positive review) lightly!
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 pm

neWorld wrote:

Oneword - I understand that it does interface with a compter/laptop both for recording and as a control surface using fiwi or usb with embedded midi. Plus an app for the ipad for remote control (android on its way).
[/quote]

I have been on various websites and cannot see any mention of either firewire or USB?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Pink Fluid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:53 pm

err..how about the Behringer website.....

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32.aspx
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Ah! I see... you've clearly got me muddled-up with someone who's had an education. There isn't a clichy around that I won't grab with both hands whenever tortunity arises.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83024294@N06/

Oo-er, missus!
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby grab » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm

"
The Future is Here—Now!

X32 ships with the insanely powerful XUF FireWire/USB audio interface card pre-installed in the expansion slot right out-of-the-box! XUF provides lowlatency 24-bit audio interfacing with Mac or PC host computers in the form of 32 In x 32 Out channels and MIDI. It even transmits HUI and Mackie Control data along with the audio I/O, which provides convenient remote control of your DAW via the X32 group fader section controls. XUF is compatible with CoreAudio on Mac OS 10.5 and above, and high-performance ASIO drivers for Windows PC are downloadable from behringer.com.
"
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:
Ah! I see... you've clearly got me muddled-up with someone who's had an education. There isn't a clichy around that I won't grab with both hands whenever the opportunity arises.

http://flic.kr/ps/2gndiy

Oo-er, missus!
Ah! Football. 'Fraid I don't my Liverpool United from my Chelsea Hotspur there. Never heard of the gent. That's what happens when you try to be clever, deliberately mis-spelling a word for supposed comic-intent.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:

http://flic.kr/ps/2gndiy

Oo-er, missus!
Ah! Football. 'Fraid I don't my Liverpool United from my Chelsea Hotspur there. Never heard of the gent. That's what happens when you try to be clever, deliberately mis-spelling a word for supposed comic-intent.

[8^D
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Pink Fluid wrote:err..how about the Behringer website.....

erm - how about reading the post - it was relating to this.....

http://www.instruments2go.co.uk/Alto-Masterlink-Live-24-24Ch-Mixing-Consol e-With-iPad-Dock-p-4568.html
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby N.icholas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 pm

OneWorld wrote:

http://www.instruments2go.co.uk/Alto-Masterlink-Live-24-24Ch-Mixing-Consol e-With-iPad-Dock-p-4568.html

My fault - as a first reply to the thread presumed you were talking about the x32 - your link passed me by!
N.icholas
Regular
Nick

Postby Pink Fluid » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 am

OneWorld wrote:

Sorry the curse of quotes within quotes within quotes.....
Pink Fluid
Regular

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 am

I watched tha NAMM presetsation on youtube and all the time the presenter kept using the word "show", and phrases like "artists' monitor mix" and "record the show" and all the time i was being very impressed with the feature set and layout but thinking ~Hm (nagging doubt) - show (important, one chance to get it right) - digital (foh, scary) - behringer~

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 am

It is understandable why people will be initially a little hesitant about buying into something as complex as the X32, given the company's often dubious association with reliability and build quality. And I have to say I approached the X32 with that mind set... but I quickly became quite enthusiastic about the thing. It isn't 'plasticy' -- it feels solid and well made. It comes with a three year warranty, too, which says something very positive about Behringer's expectations of reliability. There us no doubt at all that this is a seriously competent desk and it is being offered at a stunningly cost-effective price. It is a very aggressive marketing launch and it will really upset the existing players in this market big time -- hopefully that will be to the benefit of everyone in as other modesl will have to be offered at lower prices to sell at all... but it might also backfire in removing the R&D funding for future products!

I don't know the inner details of Behringers acquisition of Midas and KT, but I suspect they aren't trying to directly recoup and reinvest for R&D costs here...

We will be having a follow-up review of the desk after using it in genuine live-sound applications in a forthcoming issue. In the meantime all I can say is that I was genuinely impressed and, if I was in the market for a new digital live sound console, I would buy the X32 without hesitation. I'd also think about it very seriously as a recording console too...

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Strangy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am

Looks interesting. Limited 3 year warranty sounds promising. Just better hope it's not one of the following that fail:

Digital Displays / LCDs
Meters
Switches / Sensors
VRS / Potentiometers
Loudspeaker drivers or diaphragm assemblies
All faders including cross-faders and motorized faders
Any mechanical component that may be affected by externally applied force

Excluded from the 3years by looks of the small print on the web site.
Strangy
Regular

Postby Sheriton » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 pm

There's a very comprehensive discussion about the X32 over here, including plenty of real gig experience. Put the kettle on and clear your diary before starting to read though!
Sheriton
Regular
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Postby N.icholas » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:.

We will be having a follow-up review of the desk after using it in genuine live-sound applications in a forthcoming issue.
hugh

Are they going to let you have some S16's for the live review?

Nick
N.icholas
Regular
Nick

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Pink Fluid wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

Sorry the curse of quotes within quotes within quotes.....

Can I quote you on that!

I really would be interested in finding out more about that 'Alto' mixer, never heard of the company before, but they are selling them at £669.00....

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/recording-47/mixers-473/alto-masterlink-live-24-24-channel-mixer-with-ipad-dock-47175

Which seems incredibly cheap but all the info is quite scant, all the info says a lot but doesn't tell you much!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Next