You are here

Hitting microphone

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Hitting microphone

Postby jimthedrum » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 pm

I just watched Lee Evans, and was wondering how its setup when you know that part of the act involves hitting the mic for a sound effect. Normally i jump down the throat of anyone PURPOSELY hitting/dropping the mic etc during the show, but this seemed to be a planned part of the act. How do you setup so it won't blow the FOH etc?

Re: Hitting microphone

Postby grab » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 am

Also a good live mic will have plenty of shock-absorbing material, so tapping the mic will give more of a damped thunk than a serious bosh.
Frequent Poster

Postby Smellthevalve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Some years ago I remember seeing lee evans hitting his head with what looked like a shure beta58 to demonstrate how annoying a dripping tap was :headbang:
Here's an older example of mic misuse

Postby zenguitar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

And I wouldn't be surprised if he has invested in a mic or two of his own anyway. If only to prevent physical assault resulting from abusing someone else's gear.

Andy :beamup:

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby p.dakin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:04 pm

when you've sold out Wembley arena once or twice, a few sm58's won't break the bank!

and yes juicy compressors and limiters.

Alot of these comedic tours have some very nice FOH outboard, as you've only really got two or three mics for a standard comedian, so there's budget for some nice toys at FOH.

Check out HERE for what Adlib took on Russel Howell's recent tour.

Postby jimthedrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm

I wasn't particularly thinking too much of the cost of a few microphones, I was thinking of the protection of the thousands spent on the speakers etc themselves.
If you know this is in the act, would you over spec the PA enough to allow the gain to not overload, and be loud enough for the room, as well as limiting, compression etc?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. Mics DO get hit, dropped even. It doesn't generally blow the PA.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.