You are here

Sudden peaking of Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Sudden peaking of Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic

Postby KlarkTeknik18 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:24 am

Dear all,

This is the first time im writing here.Hope im at the right place with a proper question.
For sometimes now,im facing a problem with my 8months old Sennheiser G3 135 series wireless mics.
Where the AF just peaks all of sudden when i off the handheld/transmitter and it makes loud distored noise on the FOH..It also happen when ever the handheld is off or muted.Its just annoying and make me look like a dumbo infront my client.Anyone here encountered the same problem.
If yes,please share the methods of overcoming it.I have send my mics for servicing twice after this problem.But Sennheiser claiming there is no problem with the units and it working fine.Please help.Much appreciated.
KlarkTeknik18

Re: Sudden peaking of Sennheiser G3 Wireless Mic

Postby seablade » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 am

KlarkTeknik18 wrote:
Where the AF just peaks all of sudden when i off the handheld/transmitter and it makes loud distored noise on the FOH..

Is this supposed to be, '...when i TURN off...' ?

In which case the answer is simple, mute the input first.

It also happen when ever the handheld is off or muted.

Have you checked to make certain you are not using a frequency that there is already an existing transmission on?

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby KlarkTeknik18 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 am

seablade wrote:
KlarkTeknik18 wrote:
Where the AF just peaks all of sudden when i off the handheld/transmitter and it makes loud distored noise on the FOH..

Is this supposed to be, '...when i TURN off...' ?

In which case the answer is simple, mute the input first.

It also happen when ever the handheld is off or muted.

Have you checked to make certain you are not using a frequency that there is already an existing transmission on?

Seablade

KlarkTeknik18
Yup..ofcourse il always mute when im turning off the handheld..But when the handheld completely off,you can see the af peaks and mute and peaks and mute just like that..all this happen when the handheld has been completely off..

Seablade
Yup..have checked the frequencies if its clashing..but there is nothing existing..or maybe they way im checking is wrong..is there any other way to check clashing frequencies..I have 4 units..All my units in the range of 600 to 688.
KlarkTeknik18

Postby John Willett » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 am

Make sure that "Pilot" is ON on both transmitter and receiver.

Also, Male sure you have switched on the squelch at the receiver - LOW is normally the best setting.

The Receiver should mute as soon as the pilot from the transmitter is lost and will switch off silently.

This assumes you have a Genuine G3 system and have not purchased a fake.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am

It sounds like the squelch setting is wrong. Regarding frequency, it's not just conflicts from your own gear but you may have radio transmissions from elsewhere affecting the receivers (taxis and such like). Correct squelch setting wil help here. My Sennheiser G series mics have a mute on the mic which mutes the audio. When you say you mute before switching off, do you mean on the mic or on the mixer (or both)?
Sam Spoons
Frequent Poster

Mr G J Guitarist

Postby geefunk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 am

I had this happen to my G2 system once - Hugh advised me that sometimes other digital equipment can cause this. The time it happened I had a full band with a lot of pedals, synths, drum machines etc a lot of which were digital. It hasn't happened since, so worth checking what other equipment is in use when it happens.
geefunk
Regular

Postby KlarkTeknik18 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies guys..appreciate it..it seems like it is a frequency problem..just cant find the right solution yet..squelch setting is low..and both pilots on..and at that time i only had a numark dj mixer..dont really ustd which is the clashing frequency..and the venue is a 500 pax ballroom which is quite far away from the main road..
KlarkTeknik18