You are here

What type of sub do i add to small Yamaha PA system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What type of sub do i add to small Yamaha PA system

Postby gogi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Hello All,
I have a small PA system made of Yamaha EMX 5016F powered mixer, a pair of Yamaha S115V 2 way club SRS speakers and a pair of Yamaha SM 115V club series monitors. I want to add some subs and need advise on type and model of subs (18"??) that will compliment my existing small system.

Over to y'all
gogi
Regular

Re: What type of sub do i add to small Yamaha PA system

Postby gogi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

By the way, i think that the addiitonal sub should be a passive unit since the mixer is powered mixer. Venue is small church or hall for about 400 - 500 people.
gogi
Regular

Re: What type of sub do i add to small Yamaha PA system

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:09 pm

You could consider one or two Club series SW118V subs, you'll need a power amp and crossover though. The other alternative is a single or a pair of active subs (so no amp or crossover needed) Alto Truesonic do both a 15" and an 18" active sub for around £250. You'll probably find the 15 is great unless you are wanting huge amounts of sub-bass for dance music. The Thomann own brand subs seem to have a decent rep too though I have no personal experience if them.

In reply to point two, I use an active 115 sub (EV SA850) with passive 115H tops. It's no problem except you need to run signal cables to the sub and back to the power amps in the desk (unless you use the built in amps for monitors and use a separate power amp for the tops which can sit next to the sub).
Sam Spoons
Frequent Poster

Mr G J Guitarist