You are here

NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers?

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am

Hi,

I noticed that JBL and Mackie have both released new ranges of pa speakers :-

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=121&MId=3

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm-series-loudspeakers/

Wondering how these will compare to existing products from Yamaha, EV, RCF and FBT!?

Also LD Systems have a new DDQ range and have the matching subs coming soon!

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/ddq-series/
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Re: NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers?

Postby OneEng » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 am

1500W ..... 1600W ..... Seriously, have they no shame

My take on the new JBL's is that they are heavier (good by neo drivers ), more expensive (wasn't removing the neo supposed to make then less expensive?), and better cooled than their PRX6XX brethren.

I suspect they will sound just as good, possibly a bit better due to better processing. They have also included a standby mode (QSC already has this feature in the K and KW line) which should help with heat production as well.

I haven't been a big fan of the Mackie SRM's, but I will have to go give these a good listen. I don't suspect that I will be wanting to get rid of my venerable Yamaha DSR112's, but I like to stay informed
OneEng
Regular

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:54 am

OneEng wrote:1500W ..... 1600W ..... Seriously, have they no shame

You mean they have no sense of the truth.

Mackie have always, since time began, vastly over-exaggerated the output of their speakers.

At least they have EAW tuning their boxes now, and they're making them from wood again, but like every Mackie release of the last 10 years it'll be plagued with disappointment and unreliability.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby OneEng » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 am

TheChorltonWheelie wrote:
OneEng wrote:1500W ..... 1600W ..... Seriously, have they no shame

You mean they have no sense of the truth.

Mackie have always, since time began, vastly over-exaggerated the output of their speakers.

At least they have EAW tuning their boxes now, and they're making them from wood again, but like every Mackie release of the last 10 years it'll be plagued with disappointment and unreliability.

Oh, they aren't lying. They are deceiving. They are putting an 800W amp into a HF driver that consumes only around 150W. The SPL isn't any different than if they were using a HF amp of only 150W, but it is still technically accurate for them to say that it is a "1600W" powered speaker. It simply doesn't mean anything.

Most people are purchasing the speaker without the knowledge of how this works. It is just a marketing ploy.

The next one is how they calculate SPL Anything and everything to sell.
OneEng
Regular

Postby Datarhyme » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I was aware that Mackie had updated their SRM range but just found about the JBL PRX range today. As you say, 1500w per box is deceiving. Its all about cutting cost as it is far cheaper to source the same amp and use it twice.

Does anyone know if Mackie have addressed their reliability problems?
Datarhyme