You are here

XLR dropout

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

XLR dropout

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:23 pm

I have a growing number of bits and pieces which feature non-locking female XLRs which can work loose or just drop out and always at the worst possible moment. Alto 12" is a culprit when used as a wedge monitor.

I imagine it's a result of vibration. Can anyone suggest a solution before I break out the Araldite?
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Re: XLR dropout

Postby Dave71 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

I've literally just had a look at my altos and don't appear to have that problem. Although its a non locking socket my xlrs are a pretty tight fit
Ultimately I'd strip one down and see what replacing the socket woukd be like. I've taken to using locking iecs though
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Short of replacing the XLRs with locking versions -- which might not be easy or practical -- it would be worthwhile experimenting with different brands of XLR cable connector. They do vary slightly in size and you may well find that some brands are tighter and less prone to falling out than others.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:33 pm

It's not an issue when using them upright on stands, only as wedges where gravity is not on my side. It has only developed in the last month but is now a proper problem.

I can support the cable at the handle with a Velcro strap but would rather just sort it out. I may fix a clip to the metal plate while I consider the situation.

My olde EV xp200a has a similarly annoying habit of letting go at inopportune moments. It'll be Superglue for that, though. Can't easily get to them in a hurry.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I've had this problem with XLR/mic combinations in some venues.

As Hugh says, swapping in a different lead will often fix the problem. That was the way I fixed it; if I recall correctly it was a venue's own-brand leads from a well known studio and live-sound supplier that were prone to (literal) drop-out.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Might be worth trying a wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the XLR as a short term fix. Enough to make a good friction fit.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks chaps.

I've had the breadknife out and had a look at the PCB (pic to follow). It looks like a standard PCB XLR fitting so swapping is an option, possibly just on one of the two channels so as to keep one combi connector.

It's Neutriks all round on my leads so trying alternatives would involve buying and testing others, not economically attractive.

'Leccy tape would be an option but would end up messy and unreliable unless I follow others around reminding them to use the leads with the white tape on.

For now I'll just use the handle for cable support and put XLR replacement on the ToDo list.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:38 am

The board:

Hopefully fixed the image for you, JP
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks, JP. I thought that was taking a while. Any idea what I was doing wrong?
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 am

I used the link from the box to the right of the picture on the Photobucket site. I think the link you gave had some extra stuff in it which would only be applicable to you - not to the rest of the world.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

OIC, cheers for that, JP.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster