You are here

Mackie ProFX16 reverbs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mackie ProFX16 reverbs

Postby Raphbass » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:26 pm

I have a Mackie ProFX16, which I love except for it's revolting reverbs. I just tested it against a few others, recording the same bit of dry sax with each reverb to check whether I was imagining it - and it's pretty definite, even the smoothest Makie reverb is like chucking a large scaffolding pole against a garage door.

The test was between a cheap on-board reverb on a Behringer desk, a Lexicon LPX1, a Behringer Vritualizer 2024, the Mackie and a Picoverb.

Given this is for live use, small differences aren't significant. I was surprised that the Lexicon, Behringer 2024 and Picoverb were all pretty good, the Behringer desk was slightly less warm but the Mackie is really like a BBC radiophonic workshop effect intended for Dr Who.

I've had it for about 5 years, I always avoid using the reverbs or hook up an external unit... fed up with it now. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Also - I'm buying a S/H Allen and Heath Mixwizard with internal reverbs - does anybody have an opinion on those?
Raphbass
Regular

Re: Mackie ProFX16 reverbs

Postby OneEng » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Raphbass wrote:I have a Mackie ProFX16, which I love except for it's revolting reverbs. I just tested it against a few others, recording the same bit of dry sax with each reverb to check whether I was imagining it - and it's pretty definite, even the smoothest Makie reverb is like chucking a large scaffolding pole against a garage door.

The test was between a cheap on-board reverb on a Behringer desk, a Lexicon LPX1, a Behringer Vritualizer 2024, the Mackie and a Picoverb.

Given this is for live use, small differences aren't significant. I was surprised that the Lexicon, Behringer 2024 and Picoverb were all pretty good, the Behringer desk was slightly less warm but the Mackie is really like a BBC radiophonic workshop effect intended for Dr Who.

I've had it for about 5 years, I always avoid using the reverbs or hook up an external unit... fed up with it now. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Also - I'm buying a S/H Allen and Heath Mixwizard with internal reverbs - does anybody have an opinion on those?

I don't care much for the MixWiz on-board reverb. I have one and use a TC Electronics M-OneXL which has outstanding reverbs.

The new MixWiz 4 supposedly has a much better reverb and can also record multi-track through the USB, so it is quite a step up from the older MixWiz models IMHO.

I haven't heard a review of the new MW4 yet.... but I have my ear to the ground
OneEng
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:53 am

Yes the Mackie ProFX reverbs are horrid.

I recently bought a TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb footpedal and was quite surprised by the quality, so that could be a cheap solution, though it looks pretty crazy using a footpedal as an outboard reverb unit!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Raphbass » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:49 pm

I've just got the Allen & Heath desk - 16:2, the old version, with effects only going to auxes 1&2 and no mono master fader - the reverbs seem excellent! I've added a Yamaha REV100 and the A&H to the blind test (obviously not blind to me but a mate listened without knowing which was which and easily identified the Mackie as horrible), the quality is in the same area - might not stand up to studio scrutiny but for live use it's perfect.

I don't know how Mackie thought those reverbs were usable other than for horror movie sound effects. It's like scraping the edge of a cymbal with a rusty saw, or like eigentones between parallel brick walls, with occasional lingering lumpy resonance in the upper bass - and that's the least offensive preset which I think is marked "cathedral", the others are worse. It just can't be right! I might post up some examples.
Raphbass
Regular