You are here

What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live?

Postby Alec7string » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi all,

I want to find a piece of equipment that will allow me to record a multi-layered track to play live along with my band. Ideally I would want the drummer to have an in-ear monitor in which one side is a click track and the other is the track the audience will hear, and it's somewhat important that he be able to independently adjust the volume on each side of the headset.

Also important: I want to be able to pre-record these tracks in my guitarist's home studio prior to the performance and simply upload it to the hardware I take onstage (via usb or perhaps an sd card, etc). This is in contrast to the idea of doing the actual recording ON the pedal I would be purchasing, which I do not want to do. So I would need enough memory to store tracks for a couple hours of music in high quality.

I've been told that many multi-effect guitar pedals would be able to achieve this, but I admittedly don't know enough about this stuff to really know how to tell if they can do what I need.

I also have been told that simply hooking up a laptop could achieve this, but I'm reluctant to take my laptop around to shows for the safety of my laptop, and I also don't think that sounds as reliable as a multi-effect pedal.

The VS-100 seems to have everything I need for this, but it's a little out of my price range (ideally I'd like to spend no more than $250 or so). I also was reading about the Digitech RP355 pedal. Anybody know if that pedal could satisfy what I've outlined here?

Thanks to all who try to help me out here!

-Alec
Alec7string

Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live?

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Hey Alec, welcome to the forum.

Alec7string wrote:I want to find a piece of equipment that will allow me to record a multi-layered track to play live along with my band...I've been told that many multi-effect guitar pedals would be able to achieve this

Recording aside, how many tracks do you need to play...?

Alec7string wrote:Ideally I would want the drummer to have an in-ear monitor in which one side is a click track and the other is the track the audience will hear

I'm surprised how often people adopt a one-sided approach. Seems popular enough, but for me, that would be the mix from hell.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Any stereo device will replay a mono backing track and a click (a mix down of the track on one side and the click on the other) and will prove cheaper and more robust than using a laptop on stage. It also allows you to have a cheap backup in case it fails. I'd start with an iPod/iPad or what ever you have for your primary playback device and a CD as backup. Guitar pedals are not ideal for this job as they are designed to do something else. if you allow plenty of pre-roll and post-roll your drummer should have no problem starting and stopping tracks (or use an iPod touch and 'play on cue' or some other app to play the tracks one at a time).
Sam Spoons
Frequent Poster

Mr G J Guitarist

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 am

What Sam said. I use 'Play On Cue' on an iPod and 'Stage Traxx' on an iPad (Great App) and operate everything with an 'Air-turn' bluetooth pedal.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:01 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:What Sam said. I use 'Play On Cue' on an iPod and 'Stage Traxx' on an iPad (Great App) and operate everything with an 'Air-turn' bluetooth pedal.

Bob

Ditto. Sound Cue on iPad, Play on Cue or Sound Cue Lite on iPod (Sound Cue lite only has two pages of 12 songs each). I'll have a look at Stage Traxx.

I've just moved up to a Makie DL806 which allows me to mix and playback with an iPad but that's a bit pricy. Previously I used an Edirol UA25 USB interface (which I already had) via a camera kit. This allowed me to handle the L&R channels as two mono tracks into the analogue mixer. Click on left into stage monitors only, backing on right into monitors and FOH.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Beat Poet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

BJG145 wrote:I'm surprised how often people adopt a one-sided approach. Seems popular enough, but for me, that would be the mix from hell.

It can be hell, though I found a way round it by bouncing down the backing tracks with certain elements of the music panned only 98% to the PA side. That way I can hear bits of synth or whatever I like from the backing track in my ears, excellent for gigs where there may only be one monitor.
Beat Poet
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:28 pm

Sounds like you need any stereo music player (an iPod?) plus a very basic mixer - the sort of thing Behringer does for under £50.

Mix down the backing track to mono in your studio, put it on one side of the stereo, clix on the other. Dump it to the iPod.

On stage, feed the iPod into two channels of the mixer.

Take a direct out of the backing track to your main PA. Let the drummer mix and pan the two channels as he prefers and use the headphone output.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Setter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:12 am

Play on Cue says it's not compatible with iOS 7. What do people use with an new iPhone?
Setter
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:42 am

MarkPAman
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 am

Setter wrote:Play on Cue says it's not compatible with iOS 7. What do people use with an new iPhone?

Works fine on my iPod touch in OS7.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Setter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:57 am

Thanks both!

J
Setter
Regular