You are here

Livebatterypoweredperformance

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Livebatterypoweredperformance

Postby Ravin'around » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Hello!
I'm trying to put together a completely battery-powered set-up to take my act to the streets.
At the moment I have an old Peavey Solo Amp, A Microkorg xl and a Boss Dr Groove drum machine- I sing as well. I realise the sound quality is going to be pretty poor but I'm not yet financially in a position to update everything so have to make do as best as I can for the moment and improve as I go.
I'm hoping to get some reverb/delay on my voice and put it through alongside the synth and the drum machine. Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to do this. A mixer, a DI box with two channels, a simple channel splitter!!?
Or should I just get another speaker or cheap amp? I was gonna buy a guitar pedal and put it through an impedance matching transformer to get the reverb and delay?
As the Peavey has only two channels I need to split one of the channels or use a small battery powered mixer- or just put the drum machine through a separate amp/speaker which might be easier...
Its not about creating a professional sound just something effective in the street that doesn't sound absolutely crappy.
The main limitation is portability, I don't drive and the idea is to be able to travel with the act!
I'm exploring the options of a Lithium battery and converter but at the moment that's too expensive so everything has to be battery powered.
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers,
T
Ravin'around
New here

Re: Livebatterypoweredperformance

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:39 pm

My suggestion would be a simple passive mixer putting the synth and drum machine in one channel, then mic into the other. Depends a lot on what type of mic/reverb you have as to whether it'll need a preamp.

The 'mixer' can be as simple as two resistors about 4.7k Ohm in series with the hot outputs, joined together and fed into the Peavy input. Indeed, this could all be stuffed into the back of a plug.

If all the kit will all run off the same voltage range, you're in luck. Quite often, things work reasonably well provided you never exceed their maximum supply voltage, often down to 1/2 that!

If you're into D.I.Y both Farnell and RS do very efficient DC/DC converters that are reasonably priced.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
You know, and I know, but they don't know... So keep your mouth shut!

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:27 pm

The Peavey has a 'tape' input, try the drum box into that? reverb on voice? the best (but not the cheapest) answer in your situation is probably a TC Mic Mechanic pedal but, actually, most guitar pedals will work with a reasonably high output dynamic mic wired unbalanced. The shop will almost certainly let you try that before you buy.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 am

I see from an SoS review that the Microkorg has both microphone and audio inputs.
Can you not therefore use the Korg as the 'central unit' and then feed that to the Peavey?
The Korg also has a delay effect, could be a sort of reverb on voice?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Ravin'around » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes the Korg does- it was a new purchase- I've just discovered that.
I just have to figure out to adjust the settings to get vocals and keys together.
I tried the vocals through a cheap Behringer delay pedal but couldn't get enough volume- with a more powerful amp I think I might.
The Peavey is proving to be absolutely useless- it crackles at anything above half volume and dislikes alot of frequencies. I presume its broken. Fortunately I didn't buy it- was given it!
So I'm looking for an alternative amp/Pa Speaker now. Ideally after 3 jack inputs and 1 XLR min- Any recommendations?
Ravin'around
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:32 pm

What kind of budget?
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 am

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist

Postby Ravin'around » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am

Cheers but the street cube seems massively overpriced to me? At the moment I'd prefer to spend about 200.
Maybe I will upgrade when I recoup the money..
I was looking at this- http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... le/xp106w/
Ravin'around
New here

Postby Ravin'around » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

Also Blinddrew. I know you! I've seen you playing Bass in the Habit! Next time I'm in York I will say hello if I see you around!
Ravin'around
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Sometimes it is a crazy small world! :D
The streetcube that Sam mentions is very good, I tried one myself but, like you, didn't have the budget for it. What I ended up with instead was one of these:
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lig ... s-Mics/GIJ
one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3-channel-min ... ixer-l71ak
and one of these:
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lig ... 50-MHz/UQ9

It's not as good as the cube (and much bulkier) but it's less than half the price and does the job for us.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster

Postby Ravin'around » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Blinddrew I read your previous post on the forum. You mentioned you were gonna try a few.
Did that one come out on top or was it just the cheapest!?
I'm either gonna go down that route you've suggested or break the bank and get one of these- https://www.production-room.com/product ... oC_FHw_wcB
Heavier but better value than the streetcube...
If you ever see someone busking with a synth and a drum machine in York its probably me!
Ravin'around
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

It was the combination of features that did it for me. Sound was ok, price was ok, the wireless headset mic means I don't have to lug a mic-stand around and maplin box means we can plug my guitar and the bass in, headset mic to channel two and then the other guitarist can use my THX10.
The cajon doesn't need anything... :D
Hopefully you'll see us about soon as well.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Sounds like we're all sorted then. The big Roland box looks great but the Street EX has a fair bit of bottle too (actually nearly twice the power of the BC33, Roland are most unhelpful when it comes to publishing useful specs for their battery powered amps but the Street EX draws 730mA from it's 8xAA batteries, the BC33 only 410mA, they do quote the battery life, on full power, as 8 and 4 hours respectively suggesting the Street EX has roughly twice the power of the BC33, but omit the only useful number which is an SPL measurement for each amp...... :headbang: ). Regarding other Roland/Boss kit (which I usually like a lot) I had an AC33 but it was woefully underpowered (on batteries, at least) so I sold it. My bass player has a Phil Jones Briefcase bass combo, plenty of power and a built in battery option. I wish they did a guitar version (well, actually they do but it doesn't have the battery option). Not cheap but if I see one at the right money I'll buy it. Or I'll buy the Street EX, the BA33 is simply too big and expensive for what, on paper, it delivers.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Mr G J Guitarist