You are here

A general review of websites

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

A general review of websites

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 am

What is it with this latest fad where so many websites have taken to using a light grey text on a white background. It might not be trendy but what is wrong with jet black text on a white background, at least you can read the thing. Surely the intent of most websites is to display the content effectively and not just show off the latest shabby chic look?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: A general review of websites

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am

It's not really a fad, and it's not new - I was still making choices to go slightly lighter than full black well over a decade ago, and still prefer a dark grey for text to full black.

Too much contrast is also hard on the eyes, and I generally find full dark black on full bright white is too hard on the eyes, for me.

At the same time of course, you can go too far. and it's probably easy if you have perfect eyes to make design and usability choices without taking into account those who don't. And also, everyone's monitors and calibration is something you have no control over either...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Re: A general review of websites

Postby Ariosto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm

I was looking at an ad on the tube train a day or so ago. Same thing - could not read it. the actual parts i could read made no sense anyway.

Do they really think we are going to get up and stare at it from 9 inches away, just to read their stupid ad?
Ariosto
Frequent Poster