You are here

Melodyne Upgrade- Nightmare Experience

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Melodyne Upgrade- Nightmare Experience

Postby dbfs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi all.

I have a 10 song project that was started in Cubase 4 using melodyne plugin version 1.0.0.3. There was quite a bit of time spent with the client sorting out bits of vocals and we were happy with the results.

After getting several emails from Celemony to upgrade my software to the new melodyne editor with DNA access etc I eventually decided to take the leap and upgrade.

I went through the process of converting the old melodyne session to a new session and saved the results. while keeping a backup of the original.

However I am now putting the final touches on the mixes and I notice that my vocal tracks are wildly varying in sync. I mean from phrase to phrase, bits of audio are in and out of sync by what seems like random amounts. There is also some weird phasing going on which was not there before.

I therefore tried to go back to my old computer where the project was started and it seems that I am no longer authorized to use the old version as I no longer have the ILOK asset for this, since the new version has overwritten the old one.

So in summary I upgraded my product and had to surrender my old product as part of the process.

The upgraded product doesn't open the old files correctly.

This is my nightmare and I am still waiting on Celemony to offer me a solution
i.e. provide me with an ILOK asset for the earlier version of the plugin. If the two liscence are on the same ILOK I don't see why they would not do this.

So, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what may have gone wrong in the upgrade or if anyone knows a workaround when opening Melodyne Editor projects that were created in an earlier version of the plugin.

Best Regards,
Brian.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Re: Melodyne Upgrade- Nightmare Experience

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:22 pm

What a PITA. Are there tempo changes in the songs?
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Did you not render out the results of the old Melodyne to audio so you were covered in the event something untoward happened?

I hate leaving my projects in a state dependent on third-party tools which may or may not continue to work in the future...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby dbfs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Guys, No Tempo changes in the projects. Yes for some songs I did render the vocal but not for all. I really should have but at the time I was waiting on the client to return so we could complete the mixes and make further adjustments if necessary. I had not really considered it ready for archive a such but after this, you bet I will render everything.

If celemony would just send me an ILOK asset even a time limited asset I could get into to render the files and complete the project. Otherwise I will have to hunt on the second hand market for an old license which seems totally crazy after buying the plugin twice effectively.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah, this kind of thing is really annoying. Let's hope Celemony can sort you out...

Mid-project upgrades are usually to be avoided where possible...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby dbfs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Yes I emailed them again today with the exact details but no reply.

I wonder how many days it will take to get any real response from them. I gotta say, At least Waves have an actual phone number you can ring. Celemony have no phone number any where on their site as far as I can see.

Brian.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm

The timing on the original vocal audio will be fine, it's Melodyne that has lost its reference points.

Worst case, you may have to remove the Melodyne plug in from the vocal tracks in the old song version then instantiate the new version and re-do whatever work you did with Melodyne.

A PITA, but probably not a disaster.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster

Postby dbfs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Steve, You are right. I spent a few hours last night redoing some of the work on one song in Waves Tune as I don't trust melodyne at this point. Its a shame that Celemony did not help in any way. Software development is a tricky business, I know having worked in that industry, but when bugs like this cause problems I think they should have been quicker on the ball with a genuine support request.

As it stands, I guess there will be no word until after easter which is not good for me as I have to work on the project over the next few days.

I just hope that others will learn something from my mistake and be very selective in what software they buy, when they buy it and who they buy it from. I mean I never would have thought that Celemony did not have a phone number you could ring if you needed to speak to somebody.

Who Knows, maybe they will come good yet. Fingers crossed.

Brian.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby dbfs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi all,
Great News, Jörg Hüttner from Celemony has contacted me and sorted my problems out. Everything seems to be playing fine now on my old system and now I can render my old work and import the files to my current sessions to complete the project.

A good outcome and a big thanks to Jörg.

Best Regards,
Brian.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Good stuff. So how did you fix it?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby dbfs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 am

Had to get an old ILOK license and then I could go back to the old Melodyne session to render the tracks. I think the problem is rare because I had been using the very first version of the plugin without ever updating.

Best Regards,
Brian.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby planetnine » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 am

did they supply the licence or did you have to find one yourself?

>
planetnine
Regular

Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.