You are here

Radial JDI Passive DI Review

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Radial JDI Passive DI Review

Postby Arthur Stone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Background: I use an Ibanez SR500 bass and whilst it's perfect to play, I haven't been totally happy with the tone which was lacking resolution both live and recorded; also the dynamics were uneven across strings and the fretboard. In the mix this led to an ambiguity in the soundstage and I needed a lot of top end to bring definition whilst boosting the bass meant wooliness. Things improved after DI'ing the bass through a BAE1073mpf (which passed through the output transformer but not the input transformer)...the tone was there...a healthy ringing warmth - but still the lack of definition and uneveness of dynamics.
After reading up at Gearslutz.com I reckoned I needed a passive DI - I nearly bought a cheap one, but decided to save up for a Radial JDI.

Hardware: The first thing I noticed as I unpacked it was the weight (720g)...very solid; this acts like an anchor with the non-slip rubberised base. The folded-steel design is ergonomic and there are no sharp edges to snag cables. The enamel finish is quality with clear legends; the push-buttons latch well and the insert sockets are tightly secured to the chassis. As the JDI a passive unit there is no batteries or external power needed.

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/arthurstone/6875691239/[/image][image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/arthurstone/6875692779/[/img]

In Use: The weight is a well-judged balance between stability and portability, it's a solid base for the cable and doesn't drag around easily, it's set and forget. I plugged in an active bass (Ibanez SR500) to the JDI input; then a short XLR from the JDI output into the mic input on the BAE and added 40dB of gain (@1200ohms).
I was blown away from the start - it sounded 'peachy' (sorry!). The tone was very pleasant, still the harmonics but no harshness; the resolution of the tone, the shape of it, was incredible...very 3D (and I'm looking forward to mixing bass now); the articulation of dynamics seemed to have been improved too - there was more evenness across strings and frets. Basically it sounded like one guitar rather than 4 different ones.

On electro-acoustic guitar the JDI performed just as well as bass...same peachiness of tone and smoothing of harsh harmonics with added 3Dness.
I tried a passive electric guitar too and was impressed...better than any other DI input I have - the fact that the JDI is passive didn't adversely affect the tone...maybe a little bit darker but certainly full bodied.
'Musical' really does apply here; it's as if the JDI is an instrument itself.

Conclusion: This is great bang-for-buck for your signal path. It sounds superb. Excellent design and build quality. I'd thoroughly recommend the JDI for anyone who wants to improve their guitar tone and resolution.

References:
Radial Engineering JDI & J48
http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/smartsheet-jdi.pdf
Arthur Stone
Poster

Re: Radial JDI Passive DI Review

Postby Glenn Bucci » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 am

I have the unit also and just love it. I use it mostly for recording bass as well. I use the XLR to a mic to record thebassamp with my Brauner mic. Then the quarter inch jack goes to my Portico pre or Manley Voxbox.

I also foundby going in it and then my bass amp, it gives a more solid sound. Really happy with it.
Glenn Bucci
Regular
revelationsoundstudio.com

Postby Jimmy T » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm

I've got one also and again I use it for bass. It works very well.
Jimmy T
Poster

Postby Helmutcrab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Glenn,

Im interested as to how you use your jdi for recording bass amp with a mic but am confused. Are you using the xlr output of the jdi into your mic and then taking the jdi 1/4" input to a preamp ? Is the impedance not too high for a preamp from the 1/4" unbalanced input on the jdi or is that sorted by your portico/manley. I didn't realise you could reverse the signal path on d.i's, if so thats very interesting. Im just trying to learn about this subject.

Cheers

Peter
Helmutcrab
Frequent Poster

music for the downtrodden

Postby Henry Mark1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:13 am

This thing is very nice. I have it with me and I am very satisfied with it.
Henry Mark1
Poster

Postby ryanevans1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Wow this is quite unique and fun thing. Good job man!
ryanevans1

Postby Frank Eleveld » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 am

I'm a big fan of the Radial DI-boxes as well. Nice concise write-up!
Frank Eleveld

Postby Arthur Stone » Sat May 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Anyone considering the Radial should check out the review of the Orchid DI's in this months issue of SOS.
Arthur Stone
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 am

Orchid products are getting quite a reputation for quality results at bargain prices

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Imran500 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Arthur Stone wrote:Image

'Musical' really does apply here; it's as if the JDI is an instrument itself.

I've got the J48 Active one - I'd say it bumped up the quality of my DI'd in Guitar Rig recordings by 30% it was significantly better sounding. Quality DI boxes are a must have
Imran500
Frequent Poster

Postby grab » Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 am

I've just got some Orchids too. We played a large-ish pub in St Ives on Friday, so we thought it'd be a good opportunity for our newbie soundman to practise. Also a good test for the Orchid DIs too (two mini ones on the two guitar synths and a standard one on my bass), since the room lights were incandescents on a dimmer, turned down to about a quarter. Not a trace of hum, and everything sounded spot-on.
grab
Frequent Poster