You are here

Ipad App Crash

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Ipad App Crash

Postby fulviomennella » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:49 pm

*** See later - the fault lies with page 15, not 14 - Forum Admin ***

Hi there,
the new SOS App crash on my Ipad2 (iOS 9.3.5) when I load page 14 of the "Inside Track" article on January 2017's Issue.
Any idea?
Thank you.
Fulvio
fulviomennella
New here

Re: Ipad App Crash

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi Fulvio,

I'm having exactly the same problem, attempting to scroll to that page is crashing my iPad mini too. Previous and subsequent articles are working fine,

To help trouble shooting, I have signed out of the app, deleted the issue, restarted the iPad, signed in again and downloaded the issue once more. Still having the problem.

Try raising a support ticket using the Submit a Question to us option following the link here.

http://www.soundonsound.com/help/sos-app

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Gents, is this for the UK or US version?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Hugh! You know I'm in the UK ;)

And for completeness, the UK tablet version :)

zenguitar
I've always been a fine figure of a man. 25 years ago it was measured by quality, now it is measured in quantity.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 pm

:lol: Yes, I know you are Andy, but I didn't know if the OP was and I also didn't know if you had access to both versions being a revered mod with special privileges! :D

Anyway, I'll pass that back to the boys in the office -- they wanted to know because the US version apparently has an ad on that page which was more likely to be the cause of a problem than the UK version's simple page of text. They are on the case...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby fulviomennella » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Thank you Andy! I'll report the problem to the support desk.

zenguitar wrote:Hi Fulvio,

I'm having exactly the same problem, attempting to scroll to that page is crashing my iPad mini too. Previous and subsequent articles are working fine,

To help trouble shooting, I have signed out of the app, deleted the issue, restarted the iPad, signed in again and downloaded the issue once more. Still having the problem.

Try raising a support ticket using the Submit a Question to us option following the link here.

http://www.soundonsound.com/help/sos-app

fulviomennella
New here

Postby fulviomennella » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm

My app version is UK.
Thank you!
Fulvio

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Gents, is this for the UK or US version?

H
fulviomennella
New here

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:55 pm

SOS-Jan2017-app-Page14-Inside-Track.jpg

Hi Fulvio,

Just checked Jan 2017 issue on my iPadPro running iOS 10.2 and the Inside Track article works fine (as do all others) with the UK app.

Are you able to upgrade your iOS to a newer version - it might solve it?

It 'feels' like a downloaded file is corrupt, so you could try deleting it and re-downloading that issue (although my colleagues say they tried this on their iPads already).

What's odd is that p14 is a page entirely of text. Page 15 is the one with the zoomable Pro Tools session screenshot on it, and that would have been my guess for being the problem, but that works fine too for me and other testers.

Genuinely puzzled... I've seen your support ticket too and this has been passed on to the app guys in the office.

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A bunker deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby fulviomennella » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Ian,
I have to admit that the crash occurs when I try to scroll to page 15 from page 14. Sorry for the lacking information.
I'm on iPad2 so the maximum update possible is 9.3.5 which I'm currently on.
Thank you very much!
Fulvio

Forum Admin wrote:
SOS-Jan2017-app-Page14-Inside-Track.jpg

Hi Fulvio,

Just checked Jan 2017 issue on my iPadPro running iOS 10.2 and the Inside Track article works fine (as do all others) with the UK app.

Are you able to upgrade your iOS to a newer version - it might solve it?

It 'feels' like a downloaded file is corrupt, so you could try deleting it and re-downloading that issue (although my colleagues say they tried this on their iPads already).

What's odd is that p14 is a page entirely of text. Page 15 is the one with the zoomable Pro Tools session screenshot on it, and that would have been my guess for being the problem, but that works fine too for me and other testers.

Genuinely puzzled... I've seen your support ticket too and this has been passed on to the app guys in the office.

Ian G
fulviomennella
New here

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 pm

fulviomennella wrote:Hi Ian,
I have to admit that the crash occurs when I try to scroll to page 15 from page 14. Sorry for the lacking information.

:-) Suspected that image might be a culprit... works for me OK on my device.

OK, possible solution to give you access to that page....
[*]Open Jan 2017 issue and tap any page of any article.
[*]Tap the open book icon at the top of the grey strip that appears...
[*]In the Search box, type 36 vocal tracks and it should show a page 15 thumbnail.
[*]Tap this thumbnail and tell me if it opens that page for you?
[*]If it does, tap on the screenshot image and pinch/zoom that image t enlarge it. Does that work also?[/list]
Forum Admin

Postby fulviomennella » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Done!
It shows a blank page for a few seconds and then the App crash.
I also tried to archive the issue and download again, but same problem.

Forum Admin wrote:
fulviomennella wrote:Hi Ian,

:-) Suspected that image might be a culprit... works for me OK on my device.

OK, possible solution to give you access to that page....
[*]Open Jan 2017 issue and tap any page of any article.
[*]Tap the open book icon at the top of the grey strip that appears...
[*]In the Search box, type 36 vocal tracks and it should show a page 15 thumbnail.
[*]Tap this thumbnail and tell me if it opens that page for you?
[*]If it does, tap on the screenshot image and pinch/zoom that image t enlarge it. Does that work also?[/list]
fulviomennella
New here

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 pm

p15-Inside-Track-Jan2017-app.jpg

Just to prove I can open p15 on my device, I attach a screenshot showing the PT session zoomed in.

I'm at a loss... Hugh & Zenguitar, what model iPad and iOS version are you guys using please?
Forum Admin

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 am

Hi Ian,

The first page you imaged is the last page in the article I can read, when I try to to page down to the next page is when the app crashes.

My iPad mini is on iOS 9.3.5 and according to my iPad settings it is fully up to date. It's an A1432 model with 16Gb, 1.9Gb free.

Completing the 36 tracks search as requested. It finds and displays the thumbnail, but tapping the thumbnail gets a white page and then crashes the app. Have archived the issue and redownloaded again, still repeating the same crash.

Hope that helps.

zenguitar

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks Andy. The guys are investigating.

Looking like it might be some kind of weird compatibility issue with iOS v9 at the moment as it seems okay on v10. A fix or solutions is being sought.... Highlights the nightmare challenges of it being impractical to test each product on every potential platform variation. ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Re: App Crash

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 am

That p15 zoom image is not working on some Android devices (which have limited memory) we have tested too... so not restricted to iOS 9.3.5

Testing is still ongoing (in-house) with a reduced-size p15 image...

Be useful to know if others can open page15 of that Inside Track January 2017 issue on their tablets without crashing, and reply here with their model, OS version and memory/storage details. It will all help us find a common problem, for many iPads and Android devices are not seeing this crash problem on this article.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Looking like it might be some kind of weird compatibility issue with iOS v9 at the moment as it seems okay on v10. A fix or solutions is being sought....
H

Hi Hugh,
Does that page crash on your iPad? If so what model, iOS version and storage please?

cheers,
Ian
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm

I have an iPad-1, so the new app has rendered it obsolete as a magazine reader, and I've not yet installed the new app on my (smaller) Android tablet -- a project for this weekend, methinks.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 am

Further update.

Having continued reading this issue in the app, tonight I discovered a similar problem with the Reaper Notes article whilst reading in the pub.

Swiping to Reaper Notes from the previous article gave a white page and crashed the app. On relaunching I went to the index page and selected Reaper Notes there and it also crashed the app.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings once more. :(

zenguitar

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:27 am

Latest update.

There was an update available for this issue which I downloaded this evening. I can now get to page 15 of the original article with the zoomable image. However, it was a rather slow and hesitant process on my iPad mini. It did take a few seconds to think about things before loading the page. But once loaded I could zoom the image.

The problem with Reaper Notes remains, and it appears that the zoomable image on the 1st page would be the cause of the problem. I am still crashing whether I navigate there directly from the index, swipe forward from the previous page, or swip backwards from the Q&A page.

zenguitar