You are here

Remote Collab Software options

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Remote Collab Software options

Postby ontracktuts » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:49 pm

What software are you guys using to collaborate with remote artists? I'm testing out Gobbler and Splice, and am pretty impressed with Splice. I also like how you can log into a web browser of the song and add tags to the song like Soundcloud, plus you get a rough image of the track layout of the song. Interested to hear your guys thoughts and experiences with the software. Also has anyone used OhmStudio. Looks pretty cool, but then its another DAW to learn.
ontracktuts
New here

Re: Remote Collab Software options

Postby PaulF » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I got into BlendIO as part of the Remix project last year. It's ok, but it relies on DropBox (and you can't get many WAV files in a free DropBox account!).
There are some interesting 'competitions' on there where you can remix other tracks, but I haven't found a lot of 'collaboration' on there.
Kompoz seems to be a better environment/community for collaboration, but the free account only lets you upload MP3 files (so the quality isn't great).

It's a real shame there hasn't been more interest on this forum, I think remote collaboration is a great opportunity to get some of the benefits of working with other musicians without the regular commitment that bands typically require. With my 'day job' there is no way I could commit to a band, but I have some time (normally early hours of the morning) where I can compose and arrange. Working on ideas for remote collaboration is perfect for me.
PaulF
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am

I think time is the problem for most people. I'd love to do more collaboration stuff but currently have a stack of work to do on a band recording project and 3 planned solo EPs to do. Plus gigs, the occasional session and, sadly, a 'proper' job :(
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 am

PaulF wrote:I got into BlendIO as part of the Remix project last year. It's ok, but it relies on DropBox (and you can't get many WAV files in a free DropBox account!).

If you're prepared to put in a bit of effort, you can get a free Dropbox account up to about 36GB, as you get bonus size increases for referring friends and doing other things...

So while the basic 2GB might be tight, 4-10GB would be perfectly fine for most things, I would have though...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby PaulF » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:21 pm

desmond wrote:
PaulF wrote:I got into BlendIO as part of the Remix project last year. It's ok, but it relies on DropBox (and you can't get many WAV files in a free DropBox account!).

If you're prepared to put in a bit of effort, you can get a free Dropbox account up to about 36GB, as you get bonus size increases for referring friends and doing other things...

So while the basic 2GB might be tight, 4-10GB would be perfectly fine for most things, I would have though...

Agreed, thanks for reminding me. I did start some of the tasks, but the got a bonus from Dell with a new PC. I think that's only for a year so I'll have to look at that again soon.....
PaulF
Poster
PaulF

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm

PaulF wrote:I did start some of the tasks, but the got a bonus from Dell with a new PC. I think that's only for a year so I'll have to look at that again soon.....

I had a nice Samsung bonus for +48GB which was nice (not that I ever used that much), but that ran out a month or so ago. As a sweetener for taking it away, they added an extra 3Gb but apparently that is only for another year, so I'm gradually building mine up, just to handle enough magazine scan uploads to not cause out of space problems - I'm currently at 7+GB which is just about ok (a single IM&RW issue is about 3.5GB), but a 10Gb permanent allotment would be ideal for me.

The good news is I have my own web account and email account handling, so I can "generate" new "friends" to "recommend" Dropbox too at will... My team is expanding slowly... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...