DrumCore users have been waiting a very long time for a new version, but version 4 is finally here — and available for both Mac and PC.
When DrumCore first appeared in the pages of SOS, way back in February 2005, it was a loop-auditioning interface that enabled musicians and producers with hard drives full of audio and MIDI loops to organise their collections of files. At that stage it was a Mac OS X-only product that couldn’t be used as a plug-in, but it did include a very desirable drum library featuring contributions from some of the world’s best drummers.
Version 2, reviewed in December 2006, introduced tempo-sync via Rewire, more MIDI and audio loops played by world-famous musicians, and support for REX2 and Acidized files, but although both PC and Mac versions were available at that point, the software still didn’t integrate as a plug-in. When its developers, Submersible Music, finally produced a plug-in, it was a version of their KitCore virtual instrument, which had been developed to provide a simple and cost-effective way for people to make use of the drummer MIDI libraries. It was the first of Submersible’s drum-related products I had the opportunity to review and I found it very easy to use.
Soon after KitCore’s arrival, DrumCore 3 was unveiled, and this time it worked as both a stand-alone product and a VST/ RTAS/ AU plug-in. While the stand-alone component closely resembled previous...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.