With its enhanced LF response and effortless SPL delivery, Unity’s new active bass extender is seriously hot stuff. Schwing!
Unity Audio’s gradually expanding line of professional monitor loudspeakers (all using sealed-cabinets) has featured often in the pages of Sound On Sound over the years, and I’ve been lucky enough to review most of them. The most recent model to excite my ears was the revised Boulder three-way mid-field unit (SOS June 2015), which benefited from a slightly larger cabinet, compared to the original model, and new bass drivers, enabling greater bass extension and maximum SPL (reviewed August 2012).
However, it seems that these improvements were still not quite enough to satisfy some of Unity’s potential customers, and so the team developed a bespoke active bass unit to partner the Boulder MkII, giving considerably greater SPL capabilities and even deeper bass extension. This new unit — christened the BABE (Boulder Active Bass Extender) — essentially turns the three-way Boulder MkII into a cohesive four-way system, and each Boulder MkII can be supplemented with...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.