We show you how to get creative with the crossfader in Ableton Live.
This month we’ll look at Live’s tools for real-time crossfading between two or more plug-in instruments. This has a variety of applications from simply transitioning between instrument presets to emulating wavetable synthesis. It’s worth noting that true wavetable synthesis differs from crossfading in several ways — for the real deal check out soft synths such as the Xfer Records Serum, PPG Wave 3.V or Waves Codex.
The most obvious option for crossfading between two instruments is to place the instruments on separate tracks and use Live’s Crossfader. Right-clicking on the Crossfade control lets you select a crossfade curve,...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.