Streaming is now the most important way in which music is consumed. So how can you make sure your music sounds as good as possible?
The way we listen to music has changed fundamentally in recent years. Not only are we not buying CDs any more, but increasingly, we’re not buying downloads either. Instead, streaming is now the main route by which music reaches the ears of the public. Last year, for example, 431 billion song streams were logged in the USA alone: that’s well over 1000 for every person in the country!
Obviously, not all streams represent sales, and a download or physical sale might lead to hundreds of listens, whereas a stream always represents a single listen. Nevertheless, the figures are so huge that it’s clear that streaming now dominates the market.
This isn’t only true in terms of volume, either. As of 2015, streaming is now the most important source of revenue for recorded music. Digital revenues now surpass physical sales figures, and for the first time since 1995, overall revenue from recorded music has risen. In streaming, the music business might have found what it has been searching for for more than 20 years: a consumer-friendly way of delivering music digitally and making money from it. The shift from physical media to online delivery is sure to continue, and within the digital sector, downloads will continue to wane while streaming grows and grows.
If you’re producing music, this means you can’t afford to ignore streaming. In fact, it means that if you are going to optimise your output for...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.