Win Golden Age Project Comp-2A Compressor Pair £1280
Golden Age Project’s Comp-2A is a design that’s unmistakably derived from the legendary Teletronix LA-2A, which has, over many decades, proved enduringly appealing. Its combination of electro-optical compression, input and output transformers and tube amplification mean that it’s easy, quick and intuitive in use, and generally smooth sounding. But it can also be driven into a nice bright-sounding distortion that can work well on a range of sources from vocals to snare drums.
In this month’s competition, we’re giving you the opportunity to win a pair of Comp-2As, complete with the optional rack tray — they’re stereo linkable, so in effect this gives you a stereo/dual-mono LA-2A in 2U of rack space!
Don’t be fooled by the half-rack width format — what lies inside is a faithful implementation of Teletronix’s classic design. As with all Golden Age’s outboard products, designer Bo Medin’s approach has been to start with a revered — but for many people prohibitively expensive — piece of equipment, and then try to find the best ways to reduce its construction costs without impacting the signal path. To that end he’s worked out the circuit layout, and reduced the size of the enclosure and had the device manufactured in China. You’ll also find unbranded — but carefully chosen — transformers and valves inside but, cleverly, Bo has designed the circuit so that you can drop in the same tubes as the original. This version features two tubes in the signal path: a 12AX7 dual-triode amplifier, and a 6N6 cathode-follower (also a dual-triode type).
The result is a wonderfully smooth-sounding device in the classic LA-2A tradition, which can be ‘upgraded’ if you wish. But even without such mods, the Comp-2A really impressed our reviewer, who in his June 2017 review (http://sosm.ag/jun17goldenage) wrote: “If you know you want an LA-2A-style hardware compressor and have the money available, I sincerely doubt that you’d regret investing in one (or a pair) of these.”
This beautiful pair of Comp-2A compressors also comes with the Unite Big Rack Kit, an adaptor for mounting two Comp-2A devices in a standard 19-inch rack.
To be in with a chance of winning this awesome prize, fill out the form on this page and submit it by Friday 5th January 2018. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Golden Age Project.
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Golden Age Project, and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.