You are here

Event ASP8 Monitors – Possible Faults and Problems with my monitors.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Event ASP8 Monitors – Possible Faults and Problems with my monitors.

Postby Sosabba » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:15 pm

Hello all!

I just recently bought an Emu 1820M and a pair of Event ASP8 monitors. These are the first active monitors (well, any monitors) I have ever owned. They seemed fine to begin with for playing back albums, but now that I have had them a couple of months and started to use them for recording, I have run into some problems. I am getting in touch with Event and the retailers. In the meantime, as it is all new to me I am not sure which of these problems should be expected (from any monitors), and which are a sign of possible faults or inadequacies. I have no experience to compare with so I hoped some of you out there with more experience may be able to help me out.

1. This one is definitely a fault. When you play the note "F" - especially on a bass guitar, and especially the A string fret 8 "F" - you can hear very clearly that something inside one of the monitors is rattling. I have also tried playing a test tone from my EMU, and anything from about 173 - 177hz makes the same rattle. This is the case even at low volumes, but especially when turned up. I don't want to open them up to see what is rattling as this may void the warranty - but the rattle is clearly from inside the unit. Has anyone experienced something similar with their monitors?

2. Something similar - the other speaker's tweeter rattles. If you push the tweeters casing, the rattle stops. Interestingly, if you press down on top of the speaker this also stops the rattle. If I tighten the screws of the the tweeter's case it may cure it(?), but should these sort of things happen to monitors that retail at over £1000?

3. The speakers seem unable to handle much bass. On bassy CDs it handles things fine, but if you plug a bass guitar into to the hi-Z inputs on the EMU then monitor through the Events, the speakers can't handle it. They are OK at low volumes, but get worst as you turn them up. The patchmix shows that neither the inputs or outputs are clipping. The output is selected to +4dB. By "not handle", I mean that the speaker cone kind of farts and is moving so quickly that it produces a rumbling/farty noise rather than a pure bass tone. Turn it up, and quite a few things seem to shake and rattle inside the speaker cabinets at low frequences (E string on bass for example).

4. Is +4dB out correct if I am using balanced leads to connect the EMU to the monitors?

5. The speakers have power on LEDs on the front, which from what I can tell in the manual, are also clip LEDs. Again with the bass guitar, if you thwack the E string these go on and off, indicating clipping, but the input/output of the patchmix shows no clipping. Again, this happens at low volumes. So what is actually clipping – what do such clip indicators tell you?

All in all, I'm going to look into having them replaced, changed, refunded...but I really want to know which of these problems are likely to be faults, and which are to be expected from monitors in general. I am also going to borrow my friend's Circle 5s and see what happens in an A/B situation.

Look forward to hearing from you all! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Max.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Re: Event ASP8 Monitors – Possible Faults and Problems with my monitors.

Postby Doublehelix » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:49 pm

I have a pair of the ASP8s, and have not had any of the problems you mention. Mine have worked flawlessly for well over a year. Contact Event or your dealer.

Best of luck.
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Getafix » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Sounds like a faulty pair..If you're not happy with them i would recommend the Dynaudio BM6A..Slightly more expensive but worth every extra penny!
Getafix
Poster

Postby Gethin Webster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:17 pm

It does sound like there's something wrong with them, but beware that the problems you're experiencing with the bass response may not be real problems - a directly DI'd bass guitar will not have much harmonic content above the fundamental, so to sound "loud" you will need to turn it up quite a way. The bass guitar on a finished record will most probably have been compressed, EQ'd and otherwise processed, introducing more of the higher harmonics, and therefore sounding louder without the peak level being any higher.

This means that to get a "loud" bass sound with no processing the peak level will be higher than with processing, therefore its more likely to clip.

However this is just me guessing, this may not actually happen in practise!
Gethin Webster
Poster

Postby Sosabba » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Good advice so far guys...if people would keep it coming that would be great, as the more I know before I contact the manufacter/seller - the better.

G Webster - I was thinking along your lines too and tried listening to bass heavy CDs and they were not causing a problem as far as I know (the other aspects of the music may always be masking things?). That's one of the reasons for this post, to see whether that happens with other bass guitars that are DI'd. Some of the rattles are definitely the sign of something rattling inside that should not (like I said, it happens at very low volumes, and only effects "F" notes - all others are fine). But I'm not sure if the cone should be making the noises it does (the vibratory, farty noise - a bit like twanging a 30cm ruler over the edge of a desk).

I only have access to the web at work and at libraries, but will re-join the thread as soon as I can.

Many thanks all!
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby ................... » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:17 pm

I've had Event ASP8's for about a year, they've been great, sounds like you've got a faulty pair, return/exchange them. The biggest problem for me is that they are so loud! I run them with the trim right down. I am sitting quite close though, so maybe that's why they seem loud, I'm only about 4ft away.
I had a pair of Circle 5's previously, which were fine, but the Events are in another league. You'd need to try the 5's with a sub as well to get the same kind of bass that the ASP8's give on their own.
With the clip lights, I've never seen these change colour - you must be LOUD! 8-)
Regular

Postby Sosabba » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:36 pm

Herewego - no - that's the pro - at the mo!

The LEDS clip with the trims turned right down. The bass guitar is plugged into the EMU, and the patchmix shows no clip on input or output. Granted, I do really need to thwack the E string to make the LEDs clip, but it is not reallt loud at all, just a very "full" signal. That's partly why I am confused...Cheers for the advice though.

Keep it coming guys and thank you very much.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Jim Y » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:30 pm

I had to practically rebuild a set of Event TR8's. Loose screws everywhere, rattling heatsinks, buzzing port tubes. I could have sent them back, but I think it's an inevitable consequence of assembly using self-tapping screws into MDF. I've always found these problems happen periodically with anything made this way. For it to occur from new (as with my TR8's) might well be due to them having been shipped halfway around the world and subjected to a lot of changes in temerature and humidity along the way. I would have though the ASP a better build, but I suppose MDF and self tappers is still the main construction.

Be sure the rattles and buzzes are really coming from your speakers and not something else nearby. It really helps to have them on proper foam floats like Mopads to isolate direct vibrations.

I wonder if there is the possibilty that you have an acoustic problem in the room causing a bass null - lots of LF energy going into the speaker, not much reaching the ears.

As already said, a dry bass guitar going through a full range system can sound pretty awful. Despite being able to use plug-ins to fix all this later, I'd much rather have a mostly corrected bass sound in the first place. Consider using a Sansamp or Pod as a DI.
Jim Y
Regular

Postby Sosabba » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Thanks for the advice Jim.

To be honest, I have been tempted to just get into the speakers myself and sort the problems out, but they are so new, and this would no doubt invalidate the warranty if things went wrong later.

The rattles are definitely coming from inside the speakers, you can hear it clearly with your ear pressed against the back. I have tried them in different places to eliminate the area of the room making them rattle (i.e. if the bass really booms there). The speakers are in fact mounted on MoPads, so your sixth senses are still in good working order.

So does the way I describe the bass sound seem right to you in the way I have it connected?

Cheers again.

Max.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Sosabba » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:06 pm

Jim:

also, I forgot to ask - did the re-assemling of your TR-8s cure all of the problems, and have to had to do anything to them since or are they behaving?

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Koed » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:07 pm

If the ASP series is anything like the TR series, the reflecion ports are build with cardboard tubes glued together.
It might well be that those came apart.
Koed
Poster

Postby Sosabba » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:18 pm

I'll have to bear that in mind Koed.

I'm not too sure what the tubes are made from, but I do know the ASP8's are their flagship model so it may be different.

Any other advice?

I'm in a library, so apologises if I do not respond for several days, but I will be back.

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Jim Y » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:55 pm

As luck would have it, the SOS review of the ASP8 has an internal view of it's port construction...
http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/apr04/a ... /event.htm

If you can see that article, the ASP port is made from what looks to me to be a piece of reinforced cable conduit!

Yes I did cure most of my TR8 problems.

Loose screws generally caused rattles from...
Rear connectors and plate.
Mains transformer.
Woofer mount.
Amplifier heatsink.

Proximity of port tube to cabinet side combined with lack of rigidity in port tubes - yes they are cardboard! Fitted over a plastic (drainpipe?) stub in the front baffle.

Obviously, the solution to loose screws is to tighten them! You have to be careful in MDF though - you could easily strip the thead. The mechanical port noises were cured by sticking pieces of foam between the tube and side.
The amp heatsink is a plane aluminium plate and rang! Tapping the cab gently I could clearly hear it through the port. Some silcone sealant across the lower corners of the plate damped it down sufficiently.

Still uncured...
A port resonance generating harmonics originating about 500hz, but this only seems to get energised by an upward swept frequency test tone. I get the impression most ported cabs can suffer this one. It isn't an apparent problem with normal music signal.
Poor RFI rejection. They don't seem to have fitted a ferrite or some such RFI protection in the supply wiring. Fortunately, I live in a poor radio area and it's only a nearby cell phone that can break through.

My TR8's have been serving me for over 2 years by now. In good mechanical condition, they sound fine. Would I have bought them knowing what I do? Probably not, but I'm not sure if in the same price range you could be immune from recieving less than perfect specimens from any maker.

I didn't bother contacting Event. With items like these that I consider are user servicable because of the possible mechanical weaknesses, I want to get inside and sort it out for myself rather than be without waiting for replacement - that could be just as bad orv worse. To put it another way, I wouldn't send a new guitar straight back because it had a buzzy fret - I'd fix it myself, because in the course of ownership, I'm always going to have to tend to those kinds of problems myself, long after the warranty.
Jim Y
Regular

Postby Sosabba » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Cheers for taking the time out to give me such helpful and thoughtful advice mate.

It is much appreciated. Will let you know what I decide, but my temptations to DIY them have definitely grown.

Thanks again.

Max.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:27 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:When you play the note "F" - especially on a bass guitar, and especially the A string fret 8 "F" - you can hear very clearly that something inside one of the monitors is rattling.

Yes, this does sound like a fault, but it isn't that unusual and should be easy to fix. Start by checking that all the driver fixing screws are tight -- they often work loose and that can rsult in rattles and 'farty noises'.

Other possibilities to check -- but this will involve opening the cabinet -- are poorly dressed wires inside the cabinet that are resting on things that vibrate -- the inside of the speaker cone or chassis, ot the port tubing perhaps. The other possibility is something loose on the amp chassis, or the back panel not being tight. Assuming you have the appropriate tools and some common sense, these kinds of things are easy to sort out with a bit of DIY. and as long as you are careful they are unlikely to affect your warranty. Personally, I'd check these things myself because it would be a lot quicker and easier than returning the monitors.

the other speaker's tweeter rattles.

Again, probably loose screws. As I said they do often work loose, either over time as you use the speakers, or because of shipping shocks, bumps, vibration and temperature changes. I routintely go around checking the tightness of drivers in speakers every six months or so, and I usually find a few that need a half turn or so to tighten them up!

3. The speakers seem unable to handle much bass. On bassy CDs it handles things fine, but if you plug a bass guitar into to the hi-Z inputs on the EMU then monitor through the Events, the speakers can't handle it.

I think this might be unrealistic expectations on your part. There is a huge amount of dynamic energy in a DI bass, and if you are trying to practice or play it in the usual sense through the Events, you're going to want it loud (even if you don't think it is). Bass amps use much more rugged speakers and powerful amps than you are going to find in those Events. So your problems here don't surprise me at all. The clipping LEDs will be because the DI bass sound is trying to make the amps handle more than they can cope with.

Simple solution: don't try to play an unprocessed DI bass through what are, at the end of the day, small monitor speakers.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next