You are here

"This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

"This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin

Postby ryan mead » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 am

I just finished reading "This is Your Brain on Music" (here it is on amazon) by Daniel Levitin, a musician-turned-neuroscientist, and I have to say it was an awesome read!

Sorry if this sounds like an infomercial. Never met the man. ;)
ryan mead
Frequent Poster

Re: "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin

Postby GTD » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 am

ryan mead wrote:I just finished reading "This is Your Brain on Music" (here it is on amazon) by Daniel Levitin, a musician-turned-neuroscientist, and I have to say it was an awesome read!

Sorry if this sounds like an infomercial. Never met the man. ;)

Glad to hear it Ryan; I've just started reading it:)
GTD
Regular

Postby Fibreman » Thu May 14, 2009 9:18 pm

I wasn't that impressed. 10% interesting and informative, 20% 'watch while I dumb this subject down for the mainstream' and the remaining 70% seemingly authored by the the department of the bleedin' obvious.

I came away having lost all real interest in the scientific side of what happens to the brain when exposed to music.

I just mustn't have been feelin it, man.
Fibreman
Poster

Postby bonde » Tue May 19, 2009 1:23 pm

I found this to be an interesting read but hasn't really led me to rethink the way I write music or even listen to music. Something the book suggests it will do.

I wonder whether the book should really have focused on 'your brain on music', or 'your MIND on music', two very different things as the author states.

Worth a read though.
bonde
Poster

Postby tea for two » Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 pm

i'm afraid the importance of the brain in such matters is overstated. there are faculties within all of us, which when attuned allow us to perceive and experience things on a more profound level than what the brain is capable of.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby Rockrooms » Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm

I found it quite frustrating, it started out very promising then seemed to get stuck in 2nd gear and never move beyond that. The interjections about his personal life detracted from the science angle. For me it just didn't address some of the questions that it raised, but YMMV as they say.

- Joe -
Rockrooms studio
Rockrooms
Regular

Re: 'This is your brain on music' by Daniel Levitin

Postby FrVd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm

I think that the interest of Daniel Levitin's writing stays in the fact that he is a trained musician who can reach a vast public and, therefore, help music listeners who are not musicians to know more about music. Generally, (socio-)psychologists only talk about the positive effects of music on listeners, yet they do not even know what they are talking about, as non-musicians (at least most of the time). Perhaps it is why he inspired the creation of the main character in a T.V. series named 'The Listener' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHikJzClZI), for the anecdote :!:
FrVd

Re:

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 am

i'm afraid the importance of the brain in such matters is overstated. there are faculties within all of us, which when attuned allow us to perceive and experience things on a more profound level than what the brain is capable of.

Eh? Would you care to elaborate on this rather startling assertion?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re:

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 am

Likewise. Your brain is the final arbiter of everything you experience because your brain is you.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re:

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 am

I think if he hasn't elaborated after ten years, he's not likely to now!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Re:

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Fair point but you never know your luck.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re:

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm afraid the importance of time in such matters is overstated. There are faculties within all of us, which when attuned, allow us to perceive and experience things on a more profound level than that what mere time allows us to. In this way zombie threads are, in many ways, with us today and, indeed, endure into tomorrow.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Re:

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:

I'm afraid the importance of time in such matters is overstated. There are faculties within all of us, which when attuned, allow us to perceive and experience things on a more profound level than that what mere time allows us to. In this way zombie threads are, in many ways, with us today and, indeed, endure into tomorrow.

Behave! :P
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster