You are here

Ableton Question - triggering loops of different tempos??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Ableton Question - triggering loops of different tempos??

Postby DoeZer » Fri May 08, 2009 11:15 am

hello all..

quick ableton question for ya!

i want to use it live and to trigger loops of completely different tempos..I dont want to call up a new ableton file for each song, so i have the backing tracks all as clips in the same file.
For some of these, i actually use two or three loops triggered by midi pedals.

But then for the next track i want to trigger different loops.. which of course are at a different tempo.... But ableton warps all loops to the overall song tempo!!

if i turn warp off it wont loop the loop!!

surely theres an easy way round it but im afriad i cant get it..

could anyone please help??

In short, basically I want to use ableton as a sampler triggering lots of different loops and one-shots regardless of their tempo. just like an old school hardware sampler used to do!!

cheers
d
DoeZer
Regular
www.slipslide.net

Re: Ableton Question - triggering loops of different tempos??

Postby Hypagen » Fri May 08, 2009 2:08 pm

I've replied to this question in the PC section.........Ableton do a Sampler (called Sampler) which has the functionality of a hardware unit, reminds me of my Akai S300XL (which I still have!).
Hypagen
Regular

Re: Ableton Question - triggering loops of different tempos??

Postby Venetian » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:14 pm

there is an easy way. You can write the BPM of the loop into a new scene on the right of Session view. Live 11 has an improved UI for these BPM.
Now your Live set is a colelction of different scenes with associated session clips (loops), with each scene (think 'song' or 'loop') at a different BPM. Midi-map to launch these.

Note: This BPM should be the same as the looped clip. These need to be warped but if the BPM is the same it plays unwarped (choose Beats mode for example).,
Venetian
New here