You are here

Which DAW do you use?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby stemwinder » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm

cubase > pro tools LE > reaper ...

...but I have been a studio one user for about 3 mths now, and it is really, really, good. It reminds me of how reaper used to be (great workflow). For me, reaper is too baggy now and S1's workflow is brilliant.

If you like reaper but are getting jaded, I would recommend giving S1 a spin.
User avatar
stemwinder
Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: gloucestershire

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Folderol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm DAW-less :shh:
I use different programs for different functions all 'wired' together - I've never liked the idea of all-in-one and prefer to mix 'n match.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Rochester, UK
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:11 pm

At home Cubase 9, Mastering Nuendo 4.. In the past I have also extensively used Pro Tools LE/TDM, SADiE and also use Reaper in basic form for just listen backs..(a very old version). Also use Adobe Audition for de-click and restoration when RX is not cutting it.

I think Steinberg have really nailed Cubase 9 on W10, at least in my own experiences with it so far, I have given it a good stress testing on my last track and it has held up very well indeed. Very much intent on keeping that the case.
User avatar
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:00 am
Location: South East
 

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm mostly SADiE and Reaper for mixing, SADiE for mastering and editing, RX6 for fixing, and Audition and RX6 for miscellaneous analysis duties. I also do a bit on Logic and PT when helping out in friends' studios, but I'm no expert in either of those.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 20331
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Zukan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:09 am

Been eyeing Studio 1 after Ian's rec. Also, had a look at the Harrison thingy, love the concept but will wait until there is full 3rd party support and a little more in the way of processing.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 6755
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm

stemwinder wrote:...but I have been a studio one user for about 3 mths now, and it is really, really, good.

Welcome to the S13 fold, stemwinder. I was Logic until v3.0 S1 came out and I fell in love with it. I like the integrated Mastering 'project' functionality especially.

If you haven't got the latest v3.5.1 update (always free, of course), I recommend it. They've introduced a dual processing engine that allows you to have a recording buffer setting independent of the processing (playback) buffer, plus zero latency with virtual instruments. Works great!

Check out this Studio One Expert video around the 3-minute mark for specifics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RV2CJQ490

I just like the workflow of Studio One, and the learning curve is low, IMHO. But it's horses for courses, all DAWs have something to offer.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - over 9,575 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby adi_szasz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:56 pm

I use Ableton Suite 9.6 as my main DAW, Absynth for its beautiful synths and Izotope 4 to "wrap it all up". :D
adi_szasz
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby ceejay » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 am

Anyone remember the Roland RAP-10 with ATW-10 software bundle (reviewed in SOS March 1994)?

Before that my computer (IBM clone) had been midi-only with Master Tracks Pro linked to a Teac A-3340S 4-track via a Yammy YMC-10 FSK sync device.

Then in 1995 I discovered SEK'D Samplitude (v2.52) and have stuck with that as my main DAW pretty much ever since - although I used Cubase VST/32 for a while because it worked particularly well with the Yammy DSP Factory DS2416/AX-16AT (ADAT) and SW1000XG combo. Round that out with Reaper, Audition and even an extremely old version of ProTools!

But after I spat the dummy with Magix because they couldn't make the pirate-protection on my 2002 v6 Samplitude work with Windows 10, I've upgraded to Pro-X and all is Samplitude-happy in the ceejay studio again!

Mind you, has anyone looked at Blackmagicdesign Resolve as a potential multitrack DAW now it's got Fairlight on-board. Could be a game-changer!
User avatar
ceejay
Regular
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: somewhere in Oz
 

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby thormenthor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Cubase ftw
thormenthor
Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:00 am

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Freuman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I made the switch from Pro Tools to Harrison Mixbus last year, which I believe counts as Ardour.

I miss the editing of Pro Tools (the shortcuts were drilled deep into my brain) but cost and mix workflow wise, I am much happier.

I don't like subscription models and I find less people coming through the door that will only use Pro Tools as opposed to say 5 years ago.
User avatar
Freuman
Regular
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Southend-On-Sea, Essex, UK
11011110110010101111 - 110000001111111111101110 - 101110101101 Hexadecimal binary coding anyone?

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby SammyMixer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Pro Tools all day.

Everyday.
SammyMixer
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 am

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby jagraphics » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm

sorry to re-awaken this thread but....

My son's partner is a singer/composer who is working with a would be music producer. This is all this is part time to their main jobs and working form home/laptops. They are on a tight budget (who isn't these days?) .

She and the producer seem to think that they "must have" a full Ableton Live and nothing else will do as this is The Industry Standard.

Looking back over this (decade old) thread I can't see Ableton being THE DAW all professionals use lots of others are mentioned. I am not saying Live isn't good but I am not convinced it is "essential" and there are equally good (for their needs) options that will cost them a lot less.

I have the light versions of Live and Cubase also Audacity on my MAC. I do simple audio work for conference, corporate and documentary videos so compared to a music producer my needs are modest. Rarely more than 4 tracks in to FCPX however they have yet to give me a good reason why they must have a full live over anything else. Is it that much better than the rest?

Any advice would be appreciated.
User avatar
jagraphics
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 pm

No, it's not necessary. The full Live has more features than cut down versions, so maybe it's these features they need making the full version important for them.

However, as far as recording material for the industry, in general, nobody cares what DAW you used and it's irrelevant when you deliver your final mix files.

It's only really relevant for ease of collaboration (ie, it's just easier to have the same tools your collaborator/s use) but even that's not a deal breaker.

You'll find pros/studios the world over who will use some combination of Pro Tools/Cubase/Logic/Live/**insert your favourite DAW of choice here** etc etc - and they all do much of the same thing (Live however, has a more unique "jamming" workflow which might be important for them, if they are using it to perform live...). Live tends to dominate in the EDM/dance/beatmaking genres because of its heavy loop focus, but again, it's not *necessary* for this...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7541
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Kwackman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 pm

jagraphics wrote: Ableton Live and nothing else will do as this is The Industry Standard. .

The industry standard reply is that there is no such thing as a "Industry Standard" DAW! ;)

DAWs are tools to get the job done -Cubase, Logic, Reason, Protools, Ableton etc. etc. are different ways to get to the same result.

jagraphics wrote: They are on a tight budget (who isn't these days?)
Then Reason would be worth considering as it's pricing is very generous.

[EDIT- Desmond beat me to it!]
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

If there ever was an 'Industry Standard" it was 'Pro Tools". Is he expecting your son and his partner to buy a copy of Live so he can use it? I assume BTW that your son is not a muso or recording enthusiast.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5409
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby jagraphics » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If there ever was an 'Industry Standard" it was 'Pro Tools". Is he expecting your son and his partner to buy a copy of Live so he can use it? I assume BTW that your son is not a muso or recording enthusiast.

Yes to both. Son is in graphics and is non-technical (style over function) You are thinking the same thing I was. The responses thus far are confirming my suspicions. "Producer" is looking for some one to buy him expensive kit and he has convinced the singer. She is not into technology either.

I can't see what they need that the Live lite, or several other lite/LE or free tools, does not have. They are not recording a large band or orchestra.

I am 99% certain one of the free, or less expensive tools, will do all they need (and more) for the time being. When(?) they make some money producing some music they can upgrade.
User avatar
jagraphics
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

A professional 'Producer' would provide the kit required and expect some recompense either as a fee for work done/time spent or a share in the income ('points') from the resulting recordings.

As many have said above the specific DAW is pretty much agnostic these days and something like Reaper (which costs only £40 for a personal/small business licence) is perfectly capable of producing release quality work.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5409
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby John Willett » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am

The top DAWs, IMHO, are: Sequoia, Pyramix, Sadie and ProTools.

Samplitude is the baby brother of Sequoia and does most of what Sequoia does at a very much lower price - there was a very special deal on Samplitude that gave £1,000 worth of software for £150 - but I think that deal finished yesterday (unless they extended it again).

Ableton, as far as I am aware, was never an "industry standard" in any way.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4926
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am

John Willett wrote:The top DAWs, IMHO, are: Sequoia, Pyramix, Sadie and ProTools.

Maybe in broadcast, mastering, and A/V audio for post.

Not in writing, composing, scoring, music recording and music production though, where there would be a different set of professional standards in common use. No one's going to compose a movie score in Sequoia..! :)

John Willett wrote:Ableton, as far as I am aware, was never an "industry standard" in any way.

Again, it really depends on what you consider "industry" to mean. Live is very much a standard in the EDM/dance/DJ "industry".

It's all rather meaningless, of course, as so often the case, it's not the tool, but what you do with it, that counts..! :headbang:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7541
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby jagraphics » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 pm

desmond wrote:Again, it really depends on what you consider "industry" to mean. Live is very much a standard in the EDM/dance/DJ "industry".

That would explain it a bit..... Son's partner was knocking about the edges of the DJ/Dance industry for a while. However that is NOT what they are doing now by a long way.

So it seems that as you say
desmond wrote: it's not the tool, but what you do with it,
and as they are not pushing the boundaries in any way most of the Lite/LE/Free tools will do what they need without spending a lot of cash they don't have.

If they make any money at it they can use the profits to buy equipment/software.

BTW I note that when I trawl the three "cash converters" (pawn brokers) in town they always have a lot of DJ and live music HW in them. You can pick up some real bargains (except in my case as my Financial Director starts asking probing questions as to why we really need it... :-( ) .
User avatar
jagraphics
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: Birmingham UK

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users